Trans Fluid Change 2003 Avalon

I am thinking about changing the auto transmission fluid in my 2003 Toyota Avalon. I am aware that a typical change does not allow fuid to drain from the tork converter but is there anything else that I should be aware? About how many pints/quarter of fluid will drained from the transmission? Is there a filter that I should change? Do I have to remove the pan to change? The Avalon has 51000 miles on it. The fluid does have a other than normal smell to it and a Toyota dealership said that it should be "flushed".

Jim Pettway

Jim Pettway wrote:

No filter, just a screen that I would not worry about cleaning unless you have noticed some unusual problems with your transmission. I'm almost certain that you can use a fourteen millimeter wrench, remove the transmission drain bolt, you do not have to remove the pan. Drain the fluid out, and refill with the appropriate fluid. The type and quantity is in your owners manual. It's usually about three or four quarts and the type is stamped on the dipstick.

With that mileage, 51K, it should still be clean enough so that flushing wouldn't stir up problems. If it were 100K or more and never flushed before, I think it's too late to flush it. Flushing will replace all the fluid, and if it smells strange now, it may be burnt, and should all come out and be replaced. How much does the Toy dealer want for a flush? At an independent transmission shop, it may run $90-110.

Your dealer is correct. The best way to service a good tranny is by using a flushing machine.

mike

Site Timeline