Transfer case oil leak.

1996 Toyota Tacoma manual 4cyl 4x4.

Hey guys,

I've noticed a that a decent sized spot (2-3 inches across) of lubricant is left in my driveway everyday after my truck has been parked over night. I can usually look under and see a small collection of oil about to drip from the skid plate protecting the transfer case. I checked my Hayes manual and it suggests an oil seal leak. The repair doesn't look that difficult. Basically I just wanted to get your expert opinions on what I should do. Do you think it's the oil seal? I'm guessing that the issue isn't extremely urgent as long as I keep oil in the transfer case.

Thanks for your help, Dante

Reply to
Dante

I wouldn't hazard a guess without actually looking at the truck, but shaft seals are the most likely cause of transmission fluid leaks. As long as you keep the fluid topped off and the leak is slow, the repair is not urgent, however, if it is a shaft seal, the leak will get worse.

Reply to
Ray O