Transmission filter and gas filter question

Is it necessary to replace the transmission filter and gas filter? If so, how many thousand miles? And how do you know when to replace them? i have a 96 corolla, if it is necessary, which i know it probably doesn't

Reply to
kimiga

What does your maintenance schedule booklet say about the transmission filter? Anything?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The transmission "filter" is actually just a screen. Toyota does not recommend routine replacement.

The fuel filter is a lifetime filter. Replacement is not necessary unless it is clogged and causing drivability problems.

Reply to
Ray O

If i do not need to change the transmission filter, then why do people suggest to change the filter at every trans oil change? Can i do the trans oil change myself?

Reply to
kimiga

Some trans have filters made of fabric that supposedly deteriorates or tears more easily from debris than the fine metal screen in your Corolla trans. Supposedly.

It's easy since the pan has a drain screw. You'll need a funnel to add the new fluid (Dexron III for your 1996; avoid expensive synthetic fluids or additives) and probably need a metric Allen wrench (always metric). Try to measure the amount of fluid that drains out and put in only the same amount.of new fluid. If you can't measure it, put in only 2 quarts of new fluid at first, and top off after checking the dip stick. It's important to get the fluid level right, more so than with engine oil, and the level has to be checked while the engine is running, just after the transmission is slowly shifted through each position (also while the engine is running) and put back into Park. If the transmission shifts badly, check the fluid level again, and correct it if needed, either by adding more fluid or draining some.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

o i c, then what about the magnet inside the pan? does that magnet need to be cleaned?

Reply to
kimiga

I'm not sure why people suggest changing the filter at every transmission oil change. Perhaps it is because that used to be the recommendation for some vehicles, or they want to be able to charge more for the service, they are passing on old recommendations they heard from someone, or they don't know what they are talking about. If you look at Toyota's recommended maintenance for your vehicle, changing the transmission screen is not listed.

You can change the transmission fluid yourself, follow do_not_spam_me's very good instructions.

It is not necessary to clean the magnet in the pan unless you see metal particles in the old transmission fluid. Of course, if there are visible shiny metal particles in the old transmission fluid, internal damage has already occurred.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks a lot. I want to know about this because the mechanic charges a lot for trans oil change and it seems easy to do. Didnt see them change the trans filter or remove the pan. Oh one last question for sure, what about the differential oil? Does that need to be changed? I checked out the toyota maintenance schedule and they said something about the differential oil.

Reply to
kimiga

Look under the hood or door frame for a sticker that identifies the type of transmission you have.

If your car has a 4-speed A240L transmission, the differential fluid is shared with the transmission so it gets changed when you change the transmission fluid.

If your car has the 3-speed A131-L the fluid is separate. You need to remove the drain plug on the differential and re-fill through the hole on the side of the differential until the fluid starts to run out of the hole. Use the same automatic transmission fluid (ATF) that the transmission uses. Be forewarned that getting the fluid from a bottle into a side-facing hole is difficult without a pump made for the purpose or a turkey baster with a hole small enough to fit into the fill port on the differential.

Reply to
Ray O

My attitude is if I'm going through all the trouble of removing the pan, I may as well clean it completely, inside and out. However I probably wouldn't remove a transmission pan with a drain screw in it, unless the pan gasket leaked or the transmission was known for not lasting long without frequent fluid changes.

You may want to get a gear oil or ketchup pump and a hose to fill the differential, and clamp, not merely slip, the hose onto the pump. I say this after spilling a great deal of fluid while trying to fill FWD differentials.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Plastic tubing of various diameters and a 3 piece set of funnels have worked for me for years when it it comes to filling different differentials and transmissions. Quicker and easier than a turkey baster.

John Darnielle

Reply to
John M. Darnielle

Good idea!