transmission flush

I have a 93 Toyota Camry. Is it possible to flush the transmission fluid myself, or do I have to take it in? Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

Reply to
robt

Isn't that what storm drains are for?

Reply to
sharx35

I always look for a pack of endangered sea otters to pour my used oil on.

Reply to
qslim

Around here it's coyotes and porcupines...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

The stuff works good as termite repellent, just pour it around the foundation. Same for used motor oil.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Kills fleas & ticks!

Reply to
Michael Golden

Yes, it is possible to flush the transmission yourself if you invest around $1,500 in a transmission flushing machine. Or, you can forgo the flush and just do a drain and refill yourself.

If the transmission has not had routine flushes every 45K miles or so, then I do not recommend getting the transmission flushed, just get a drain and refill.

Reply to
Ray O

I share the same philosophy as Bob Barker, only instead of "spay and neuter your pets", I subscribe to "poison wildlife with used automotive products".

Reply to
qslim

I just drain and refill every 12,000 miles because Toyotas have a drain plug on the transmission pan that makes it so easy.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

On Aug 8, 2:05 am, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Dang, I was just thinking about that reading another post where Ray mentioned having to drop a pan, etc.. I always like having a drain plug IE: as in hondas, as it makes it so fast and easy.. I can change that oil at the same time I dump the engine oil.. But I've never actually looked at my tranny yet on the corolla.. I was hoping it would have a plug. Hopefully it will have a plug on the pan like you mention.. I hate having to drop a pan to change tranny fluid... Whatta mess.. Of course, with the drain method, you only actually change part of it at a time, but if you do it every once in a while, you can keep it pretty clean. A typical honda only drops about 1/3 of it's total fluid when you drain, if I remember right. So if it's filthy, you'll need to repeat a few times to get it really clean. My method is to dump and refill, drive a few weeks, and do it again until clean. I'm very anti-flush... I've seen flushing ruin many older engines, and I have no doubt it could whack out a tranny.. There will never ever be any flushing done on any of my vehicles. I guess the only drawback to the drain vs drop the pan method is you can't clean the gunk off the bottom of the pan with just a drain. Or change the filter if it has one. Most hondas don't have a user changable filter.. The toyota might.. But..Using a drain frequently to change the fluid and keep it clean will greatly reduce the amount of gunk at the bottom of the pan to be cleaned after a period of time. Most of the gunk forms when the fluid is never changed for miles on end.. I probably oughta change my tranny fluid myself.. I just clicked over 33k, and probably is about due.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Most Toyotas have a drain plug for the automatic transmission. Drain the fluid through the plug and refill, or for a more thorough job, also drop the pan and wipe out the sediment on the bottom of the pan and check the screen.

Reply to
Ray O