Transmission is messed up!

I went through some water in my 95 toyota 4runner and when i came out my car didnt want to go anywhere. i changed the filter in the tranny and still nothin. When i put it in gear it acts like it engages but doesnt go anywhere. does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
colt4544

Yes, do not drive th standing water again ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

I don't always agree with Mike's advice, but he does have a point!

Is your 4Runner 2WD or 4WD?

Jack up the front of the vehicle and make sure the wheels spin freely, then do the same in the back. If one of the wheels doesn't rotate, check the brakes and bearings.

If none of the wheels are bound up, check the transmission linkage to make sure it is not disconnected or out of adjustment and check transmission line pressure. Autozone should have the procedure for your vehicle.

After you have driven through deep water, also check: The air filter to make sure it is not wet and there is no water in the air filter housing Replace the differential and transmission fluid.

Reply to
Ray O