Transmission problem?

Hello,

I have a 1993 Paseo and this afternoon, for the first time, I had trouble pushing the button in order to move the gear. Does this mean I might have trouble with my transmission?

-- Message posted using

information at

Dashoes

Me thinks it is because you have a problem with your botton ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

I doubt if you have trouble with your transmission. If it has been cold and snowy/icy where you live, you may have had some ice buildup in the shifter linkage.

I believe that the shift lock mechanism that Jeff Strickland does not have any effect on the button, only on the shifter lever itself when it is in park.

Reply to
Ray O

Every Toyota I've seen uses a shift lock solenoid that prevents the lever from being moved out of Park, regardless of whether or not the button is pushed. If the OP cannot depress the button on the shift lever, then it has nothing to do with the shift lock solenoid. If the button does push in and the lever does not move out of park, then the shift lock solenoid or brake light switch should be checked, and in the meantime, the OP can pop the cover off of the emergency shifter release, insert a key or screwdriver into the opening, and shift out of park.

Reply to
Ray O