Transmission problem 92 Toyota Camry

In recent weeks I have noticed the transmission on my 92 Toyota Camry has started to slip. I bought the car two years ago when it had 142,000 miles and now has 168,000 miles. I have not changed the transmission fluid since I have had the car and I am not sure if the previous owner changed the fluid. Since I have had the car, I have kept the fluid level where it should be. The fluid appears to be of the proper color with no burnt odor.

What I have noticed is upon putting the car into Drive is the RPMs rev up much higher before the car starts moving. This hesitation is only noticeable when the car has been sitting (overnight for instance) for awhile. Once the car has been driven the symtoms seem to disappear. The car also seems to want to lurch slightly when I am stopped at a stop sign when it is in Drive and the brakes are applied.

Is this transmission slipage or could this be something else? What is the fix for this? I would like to get by as cheaply as possible.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Reply to
Pandamsu via CarKB.com

The symptom you're describing is referred to as delayed engagement, more of an annoyance than a problem. Fluid is draining back and has to be re-filled. It is repairable but if you're waiting to wait an extra couple of seconds, it is not worth the effort.

Go ahead and change the fluid as a maintenance item.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Pandamsu via CarKB.com

Just to clarify, delayed engagement when the engine and transmission are cold is not a problem but once the automatic transmission fluid is up to operating temp, there should be no more than a 1.2 second delay from neutral to drive or neutral to park. A delayed engagement at operating temp is indicative of low line pressure (front pump worn or clogged channel somewhere) or a worn clutch. One of the things that brings this condition on is shifting from drive to reverse or vice versa before bringing the vehicle to a complete stop.

I remember seeing a technical service bulletin issued in the 1980's about delayed engagement when the engine and transmission are cold and to be honest, I don't remember what the cause or remedy were, but I believe it involved changing a check ball or something in the valve body.

I would keep mental track of the engagement time and see if it remains constant or gets worse. It will probably get worse over time but it may take 5 years or more. Given the age of the vehicle, I wouldn't worry about

2 or 3 seconds when you first start up, especially if the air temp is pretty cold and there are no other abnormal symptoms with the transmission.

As I mentioned before, if the ATF hasn't been changed in a while, it would probably be a good idea to have it changed although I wouldn't bother with a power flush or anything, just a straight fluid change.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to