Transmission problems...

I recently (about 10,000 miles ago) had the automatic transmission in my '90 Celica rebuilt. I noticed when the weather started to get warmer that when I would shift into reverse, there would be a delay in when the car actually started to reverse. The same seems to be the case when I shift into drive. Sometimes the transmission will immediately shift into the selected gear, other times it will take up to thirty seconds for it to shift. Once it shifts though, everything seems to run smoothly and without any serious issue.

I was thinking it may be because the transmission fluid was dirty so I swapped that out with some new stuff. Still having the same issue.

The next thing I was thinking was to change the filter on the transmission. I was thinking that maybe the fluid isn't moving as it should and that replacing the filter would (HOPEFULLY) resolve the issue.

Any ideas?

This would be the quick and relatively inexpensive solution, but I would think the rebuilders would have done that.

Is it still in any kind of warranty?

Reply to
Hachiroku

The transmission "filter" is actually a screen mounted below the valve body. Cleaning or changing the screen probably will not reduce the delayed engagement. I forget which part is responsible for the delayed engagement, but one of the check balls or valves in the valve body is not holding.

Reply to
Ray O

Do you mean a delay right after start up, selecting reverse to back out? Are you noticing a significant difference in engine rpms? It could be that the increased idle speed during cold temperatures is running the pump at a faster rpm and the torque converter is closer to stall speed. That would make it seem as though when you shift there is a shorter delay engaging. Just a guess.

Reply to
user

The warranty on the rebuild expired some time ago. The shop that I had it done at was rather "questionable." I won't be doing business with them ever again, to say the least.

I have noticed that if I rev my engine after shifting and the car remains in neutral (when it should actually be in park or drive) it seems to get it to shift. I have also noticed that when I park my car on level ground, it seems to shift into gear without any issue. But when I'm parked on some sort of incline, it takes a little while for the car to shift into gear.

As far as > J wrote:

First, make absolutely certain that the fluid level is correct, it is usually checked at engine operating temperature, but check the manual for sure. If you are going to pull wrenches yourself on this you may want to check if a '90 Celica transmission has a pressure regulator and a governor that is serviceable. Maybe the shop that did the rebuild "cheaped out" and did not replace those components, either of them can at times mimic the symptoms you are describing. Perhaps some of the internal components were not replaced or serviced correctly and you are experiencing some leakage internally. Other than that you will have to find someone familiar and experienced with your car to repair it. If you have to do that you may want to go directly to the Toyota dealer near you. Good luck.

Reply to
user