Transmission question

I have a 1985 Toyota pickup with a 3 speed + OD automatic tranny. It has 187,000 miles on it.

If you grab the drive shaft just behind the tranny, you can move the output shaft almost 1/4" in any direction.

I have been told that the tranny's "center bearing" needs to be replaced, and that this involves removing and opening up the tranny.

This shop also says that any time you open up a tranny, there is some "code" that requires them to replace ALL "soft" internal parts. They quoted me $1800, not including some "required" drive shaft work. Anyway, does my description fit their diagnosis?

TIA

noneyabusiness

(Correction: It has 287,000 miles on it)

noneyabusiness

Are you getting loud noises or vibration? At that mileage, if it drives OK, I'd keep driving.

Is there a center support bearing between the transmission and the differential? If yes, check the bearing for play.

If you are in the U.S., I've never heard of any "code" that requires a shop to replace all soft internal parts.

Reply to
Ray O

I should have been more descriptive. It does indeed vibrate. And the vibration makes other parts of the car rattle audibly.

The drive shaft is a two piece with a center support, but I didn't notice much play at that part. The play at the output shaft was excessive though.

As for the "code", both the shop my mechanic referred me to and AAMCO made this claim. (AAMCO's price was a bit lower - presumably the first shop's price included hard parts as well.)

Also, I typo'd the milage: it's TWO hundred eighty seven thousand.

So, does anyone know for sure that fixing excessive output shaft play requires accessing the inside of the trans (as opposed to there being a bearing accessible from the outside)?

TIA

noneyabusiness

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1

Is there an online source for an exploded view of my tranny?

TIA

noneyabusiness

an

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1

Thanks.

I didn't find anything on slauson.com (slausons.com is some families page!) but there is a link to alldata.com, where I could get what I want, but $25 is more than my curiosity is worth ;-)

noneyabusiness