Trunk light

After 4 years, I've finally came to wonder if a light should come on when I open the trunk of my 1991 Tercel... Is there a light or not? If so, where should be the bulb???

Reply to
mikesmith9999

There will either be a 'courtesy light' somewhere with a plastic cover, or a bulb mounted on the trunk lid. I don't recall if Tercels came with a trunk light.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I doubt if the Tercel has a trunk light, but if it does, then yes, it should come on when you open the trunk. If there is a trunk light, the bulb should be in the light fixture, and the light fixture would be somewhere inside the trunk, most likely on the underside of the rear shelf or on the underside of the trunk lid. The easiest way to find the light fixture, if there is one, is to look in the trunk ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

There is a neat book that comes with cars, called the "Owner's manual." There is usually is a section that provides information about replacement light bulbs. If there is a replacement listed, there probably is supposed to be a trunk light. If there isn't one listed, there probably is not a trunk light.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I don't have that manual. But I do have a book on Tercels. No such light is listed. Thanks.

Reply to
mikesmith9999

The only catch to referring to the owner's manual is that it lists every option available in a vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle has the option or not, so listing a replacement trunk light bulb does not mean that there is supposed to be a trunk light. For example, our '97 Avalon owner's manual has instructions for using the seat heater, even though they were not offered in the U.S.

The inverse is true - if there is no trunk light listed, then there probably is no trunk light.

Reply to
Ray O

Regardless of what the manual says or does not say, you still have to check if there is a light.

Reply to
mikesmith9999

And if there isn't a trunk light and you really want one, that is the time to see if the dome-light circuit comes back to the trunk and there's a connector for the trunk light tucked away near the hinge.

You might just have to go to the dealer or a wrecking yard and find the right trunk light fixture, mount it, and plug it in.

If they never listed one for your car, the senior Parts Counter Man might be able to look and tell you which car's trunk light will work without any modifications. They use similar hinges on a wide range of cars.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman