Unknown vacuum plug

I just changed the oxygen sensors in my 1998 Toyota Corolla and it is not running well at all. From a dead stop it barely moves. Easy is the only way to get it to accelerate at all until I reach about 20 mph and then it is decent. I found a vacuum plug when I was changing the sensors, about 1/2" diameter near the power steering booster. I can't find an empty vacuum port or hose. Any ideas where it came from? The plug has evidently been freshly removed as the plug section is clean.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

P.S., the original codes are gone.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

What does it look like, and did the symptom start immediately after you replaced the o2 sensors, or was this going on before? And what codes did you have, and do you have any now? Vacuum leaks are usually pretty easy to find if its coming from an uncovered port because there should be a pretty loud hissing or whistling noise at idle coming from whatever port it is.

Reply to
qslim

The problem started immediately after the o2 sensors were replaced. I don't recall what the error code was, but it indicated a problem with the catalytic converter operating outside of acceptable parameters and it was there twice. Upon reading info on it on the internet it appeared that the most likely cause was a failed o2 sensor and that they need to be replaced in pairs. I replaced them with Bosh sensors. The car has about 196,000 miles on it and the sensors have never been replaced. Since I had to rip the dashboard out to get to the sensor after the catalytic converter I also replaced the burned out light bulbs. They are SSSSSSSOOOOOOOO expensive, 3 bulbs are over $20!!!!!!!! What a ripoff!

The plug is shaped like a solid rod about 3/4" long and 1/2" diameter with a washer on the end. It is solid black rubber. It should be loud, but I really don't hear anything where there is any sound of a vacuum leak. I tried spraying WD40 around to find it, but don't get any response from it.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

1/2" is a pretty big diameter vacuum hose. Check the PVC, throttle body, and brake booster - both ends of the hose.
Reply to
Ray O

1/2" might be the outside diameter. Even so, that's one big vacuum hose.
Reply to
Jeff

Yup, which is why I named the systems I could think of off the top of my head that use larger diameter vacuum hoses.

Reply to
Ray O