Use of door type screenng to protect raidiiator n air inflow ?

Any reason common door screening would not be good for radiator and aperture protection in 4runner ?

The 2006 4runner has apertures for air inflow at the right and left side of the rear edges of the engine area, basically under where the windshield wipers are. When I check the oil at fill ups, I find the air intakes to be covered with tree droppings and other tree stuff.

Of course the radiator and compressor are at the front of the car.

It would seem a no brainier that simple inexpensive screening materials could be discarded and replaced after having protected the parts and opening from contamination. If the screen holes were too large, it would defeat the purpose of the screening.

However, would putting common screen materials over the radiator and compressor and air inflow spots cause a disturbance in the air flow characteristic which would be undesirable to the above components and openings ?

Reply to
Reg

You probably do not want to do this. Even when clean, the screen would reduce airflow by a sizable percentage. When it gets clogged with bugs, etc, it would be even worse.

Lee Richardson

Reply to
Lee Richardson

If I forage around in my dim distant memory, I seem to recall that many MANY years ago, they used to do just that, and sold squares of mesh material with grommets in the four corners so that you could tie them onto the fronts of radiators (even when they were exposed as part of the front of the car). But I agree with the other poster that mesh screen, while keeping the bugs and butterflies at bay, would likely cut down on the air flow thru the radiator.

Reply to
mack

thanks, it would seem desirable to get some more specific and certain realities on this. I remember in a Volvo group that it was particularly recommended to use the screening. Your feedback is appreciated.

And that also applies to the air inflow apertures in the engine area under the windshield wipers.

Ray O ?

Reply to
Reg

I can't see why some fiberglass window screening would be a problem, as long as you clean off the bugs and debris every so often.

The only way to tell for sure is to do it, and keep an eye on the temperature gauge for a while - you should notice if it runs hotter or warms up faster than normal.

If you let it get clogged up, you bet there will be problems...

Truckers not only run a screen in front of the radiator, they partially block it off in the winter - the road draft will overcool the engine in the winter, even with the coolant thermostat closed.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I would suggest you take a piece of screen outside when the wind is blowing pretty hard and feel the effect of the screen.

It really impedes the wind!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Bruce's post is right on (as usual). The only thing I would add from my vast experience re-screening doors (thanks to our dog, I can re-screen with fiberglass in under 5 minutes, about 10 minutes with a metal screen) would be to stick to fiberglass if possible, because a metal screen might scratch the paint. Even if the OP skips the screen in front of the radiator, it might be useful over the fresh air intakes.

Reply to
Ray O

And your point is...? ;-)

If I was driving through a 'high bug population' agricultural area like the California Central Valley or Florida with the "Love Bugs". I'd rather have the screen out there catching the flying beasties, even if it does cut down the airflow a bit.

There is enough grille square footage on all common cars to allow sufficient air through - if that screen causes heating problems the cooling system was already operating on the ragged edge of failure.

That screen can be hosed off easily, or taken off in a pinch. Much better than trying to clean the baked on splattered bug remains from between the fins of the radiator and the AC Condenser Coil.

Been there, done that, not fun.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I (the OP) came at this from having an older, non Toyota, in which the air conditioning was a major problem. Suffering though a super hot summer, I did a lot of research work. I kept coming across folks who had cleaned off /out their compressor fins of bugs and debris and had revived their own air conditioning. Simple screening materials was what they all regretted not using. Seems the stuff on the radiator and compressors was hard to get off after having baked on. Now I have a new 4 runner, which in comparison to the previous non computerized car is something from NASA. I love the car, but would not want to mess up any of the well balanced functions, none of which I had had computerized previously, such as oxygen intake ratio, etc. From Bruce and Ray it appears that the screening would not make a big problem with air flow. Toyota, in the apparent 4th generation and 4 year of production of the

2006 4runner, got a lot right with this car. I plan to do all I can to protect and preserve the car. I am surprised that a replaceable screening system is not standard on all cars, or at least that it is one of those references which one would see often in written materials or in the chat of car lovers, etc.

At this point I will have to take a look at how best to attach the screening. It would probably be best attached - whether metal or fiberglass - with wire. (not tape) Fiberglass might melt on a hot surface, so would have to be offset somehow ?

Reply to
Reg

Another consideration in using fiberglass screening instead of metal screen fabric is that the fiberglass is usually darker and may be less visible from outside the grille than the metal fabric, which is silver. If you want something that is relatively easy to remove for cleaning, make a wooden frame out of 1/2" x 1" board. You can cut a groove in the board so that you can use a rubber spline to hold the screen like a regular window, or you can staple the screen to the board, and in either case, attach another board over the spline or staples for a little additional security. You can paint the board black to disguise it a little, drill holes in the frame, and use plastic zip-ties to hold the frame in place. The plastic zip ties are less likely to scratch paint and will not rust. To clean the screen, just snip the ties and replace them or get the re-useable kind.

Reply to
Ray O

I live in 'love bug' heaven or hell depending on your view of the thangs...

My point is...

Putting screen up in the airstream will impede quite a bit of air flow.

I just use a hose to get rid of the love bugs.

Matter of fact for whatever reason, the love bugs don't seem to make it thru to the radiator. They DO, however, kill themselves on the painted surfaces 'in the wind'.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

guess hardware cloth could be an option and it stop small rocks to I bet.

1/4" and 1/8" galvanized mesh maybe.
Reply to
Danny G.