valve cover gasket oil leak

My 2000 Sienna with 92K miles has valve cover gasket oil leaks. Both gaskets have a slight leak with the front one being worse. The dealer wants $690 to fix it. I am not going to pay that price for it.

Are there different oils or additives I should use to minimize the leak? It isn't bad enough to show on the ground yet.

Currently I use Valvoline 5W-30 oil every 3000 miles.

Reply to
badgolferman

Have you tried tightening the bolts? A bid of preventive maintance always helps ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Try tightening the valve cover bolts evenly.

There are no additives or oils that I am aware of that are effective in reducing or eliminating the leak. I am not a fan of stop leak products unless the vehicle is on its last leg because they have a tendency to clog things if air gets into the system.

Reply to
Ray O

Any idea what the torque should be for the bolts?

Reply to
badgolferman

I'm sure there is a spec although I just give the bolts 1 turn and see what happens.

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe Newfie tight?...(as tight as possible plus a half turn) :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

That sounds awfully tight. We don't even put that much torque into airplane bolts.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yer kidding me right?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Here's an example: A 10-32 bolt in tension gets tightened to 40 lbs/sq in. That's not as tight as possible plus an extra half turn. It's more like snug plus another turn. However we use nuts with nylon inserts or helicoil nuts where there is now way to use a nut.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes, you're right.

Was your 87 Camry a six-cylinder? It is much more difficult to do those engines, especially the rear bay.

Reply to
badgolferman

Keeerist!...you 'did' see the smiley face on there didn't you?!!...IT'S A JOKE PEOPLE!!

How the HELL does one tighten a bolt 'as tight as possible' PLUS anything???...

Gee golly guys, it was a newfie joke!!...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Easy. Put a long bar on the end of the wrench. Wait until you hear the "click". :)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore