Very basic question on MkIII Supra (non-turbo, '89) - thermostat

Howdy,

I haven't done this myself before, but it should be relatively easy, (I hope).

I just want to replace the thermostat and it appears that the housing for it is at the end of the upper radiator hose (the logical place). However, I do see a couple of vacuum hoses coming out of the top of the housing though, so I just need to make sure I'm not opening something that I shouldn't be opening.

Is this the right place, or is the thermostat somewhere else?

(Sorry if this seems lame, but I need to make sure).

Thanks to any useful comment in advance! (Comments from those who are familiar with MkIIIs especially welcome).

Ronin1

BE CAREFUL!!!!

What you're seeing is the BVSV, a themostatically controlled switching valve. If you look at the tubing, you'll see one running to the intake (IIRC) and the other running to the Cannister back near the firewall.

THE 'NUBS' ON THESE GET VERY BRITTLE!!! And if you break one off, chances are you are NOT going to pass Emissions inspection.

A New one is $79-139 depending on how much your dealer feels like gouging you for it. Better just not breaking it to begin with.

Other than that, thermostat replacement is straightforward.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thank you. That advice is very much appreciated!

Ronin1