Vin plate info and TBDs

The VIN plate on my old celica has a few numbers on it, including the transmission code (E150F IIRC). My car also came with the option (i believe, or it may have been standard on UK cars, not sure) of a Torsen TBD - on the rear. It has been noted that these cars either have 767 or 737 next to the transmission code on the VIN plate, and it is suspected that this signifies the car does or doesnt have the torsen diff. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

And on a second question:

We have a UK landcruiser colorado ('96). It specifies LSD diff oil though we are struggling to get hold of it. My specified oil for my torsen doesnt seem to be LSD oil, but normal GL-5 - does the colorado use a plate style diff and therefore require different oil, or should normal GL-5 cover it?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Well, I'm suffering 747 syndrome here (...about 8 miles over my head...). When you come up with questions, they're doozies!

Now, both the Toyotas I have with RWD have LSDs in them. It is a bit more difficult to find oil for the LSD, and at one time where I live it was near impossible. I can't remember who told me this, I think it was Ray, but Ford sells an additive over the parts counter that you can mix with the gear oil for LSD diffs. Of course, that's here, where we have the Crown Vic available with LSD and the trucks. May be different where you are.

Since then we've had two more parts places open up, and they carry the gear oil on the shelves.

Do you have a handle on a VIN decoder? There are a few on the Web for Toyotas that will tell you everything you wanted to know about a Toy VIN. I don't have any bookmarked since I haven't needed it for about 3 years, but remember Google is your friend!

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I do not think that the transmission code indicates whether the rear differential is open or limited slip, and IIRC, the Celica All-Trac Turbos sold in the U.S. had a viscous coupling center differential and a Torsen type LSD in the rear. Toyota LSD's of that vintage had cooling fins on the back of the differential cover, and there is an "LSD fluid only" sticker on the differential housing.

Normal GL-5 will not work properly in Toyota limited slip differentials sold in the U.S., and I would suspect that the same is true where you are.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

The landcruiser definitely has specifications as to whether it has a torsen diff or not - its fairly well documented- will try to find links. The plate reads as C\X\A\T where the numbers are colour, something else, axle and transmission. The axle is what denotes it. On the cruiser the LSDs are ending in "b" and the opens end in "a". Most UK GT4's apparently came with LSD but im fairly sure i read in the original press release that it was an option and depended on whether it was the limited edition version or not. Both the open and LSD are proven to exist in exactly the same diff carriers/covers so it is impossible to tell from the outside - I dont think anyone has ever found a sticker anywhere denoting the oil required either. Its a source of great controversy in the owners clubs, and no-one as yet has proven anything!

Yup.

Nope, not according to a lot of findings in the owners clubs :(

I'll check on the landcruiser to see if it specs the LSD oil on the diff itself.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Well, my '85 Celica GTS and the '88 Supra both appeared to have had the same diff (the Celica is gone, so I can't compare), both with IRS. They had finned housings.

The Corolla GTS has a Live axle, and the only way to tell is (was? I haven't been under there for awhile!)the LSD sticker on the diff. Also, one of the letters in the VIN denotes LSD, 'F' IIRC.

But, no fins...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think we are saying the same thing using different terminology.

The plate that you are describing that is usually on the firewall has all sorts of information, including engine, transmission, differential, body, trim, etc. Toyota parts departments should have a decoder for the information on the plate.

By "transmission code," I was thinking of the transmission model, like A140L, etc.

Now I'm sorry I threw out 15 years of sales and service materials :-(

Reply to
Ray O

Hachiroku ???? proclaimed to alt.autos.t

The celicas (all alltracs) have finned housings, LSD or not :( I think most supras had LSD?

I'll keep my investigations going!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I forgot that the Corolla GTS had an LSD in a live axle.. The VIN definitely does not have info regarding differential type.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

Ah yes, in that case we are arguing the same point :)

Thats why im a hoarder :) I need as second house just to store my hobby bits :)

Coyoteboy

Oh, now you've done it! I'll be back!

Reply to
Aldo Nova

Here's an interesting page. It seems after 1990 the VIN codes changed. It tells me my '85 Corolla GTS is a Japan Toyota Passenger Car 2 DR 2 WD Sedan with a 2AZ-FE series #8, 2 air bags FJ Model line year UNK manufactured at TMC Japan.

At least they almost got 1/4 of it right.

Now, I remember when I bought the car having a question about the LSD, and being told the second "F" in the VIN indicated an LSD. I remember that because I needed to know something about the Diff.

I can't find the 'old' VIN decoder I used to use...

Reply to
Aldo Nova

I don't remember the new VIN decoder system, just the original one.

Reply to
Ray O

Aldo Nova proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

:) It struggled with mine, it got close with "Toyota Passenger Car" and "Production sequence" 12112 - but thats it :) It thinks my celica is a landcruiser with airbags, which it is neither of! :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Sorry for using my Alter Ego, I changed to Ubuntu and forgot who I was...

At any rate, I remember there used to be a VIN code chart somewhere on the Web that correctly identified my car, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. Of course, that was a couple or more years ago...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You can also try decode VIN at:

There is an automatic VIN decoder for any manufacturer. Amazing is that You enter only VIN and nothing more - this application recognize automatically all other information! Best Regards g

Reply to
glenior

Wow. It correctly identified the make, model and engine.

But not the Diff. There must be SOMETHING in the VIN they use to determine at the dealer whether the car has Limited Slip or not, 'cause they keep asking me for it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, LSD was on the list of options and not part of the model.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah. You had to 'order' it special. But I was SURE one of the letters indicated LSD. I remember seeing it a LONG time ago, that if one of the characters was "F" or "L" (can't remember) that it meant the car had LSD. I neede to know that for some reason back in the late 80's or early 90's, and that's what either a Toyota rep (by phone) or Svc Mgr told me, I can't recall now.

Believe me, Ray, this has a LOT more to do with my 'fleeting' memory than it would ever have with trying to prove you wrong!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

If you look up the VIN in Toyota's New Vehicle Systems or Service system (Toyota's in-house database) or in the Toyota Dealer Network (TDN) system, you can get the date of first use, wholesale dealer code, retail dealer code, retail date, production date, a list of warranty claims and SSC's performed on the vehicle, factory accessories, PIO's, color and trim codes, model number, invoice and MSRP, etc. I think the dealer people were asking you for the VIN so they could look it up on the TDN.

The list of accessories would have included the LSD. For example, a Corolla GTS liftback might have AC, PS, LD, SR, CF, MG, and an audio upgrade like a cassette player (TC).

IIRC, the VIN system that Toyota used at that time was: JT2AE86C9G1234567 for a Corolla GTS Coupe or JT2AW86L9G1234567 if it was a liftback.

J: The first letter is country of origin (Japan) T: Manufacturer - Toyota

2: Passenger car (at the time, 3 was a special purpose vehicle (SUV), 4 was a truck, 5 was an incomplete vehicle A: Engine family, such as 4AG E: Chassis family, such as Corolla 86 Model - an 86 was a GTS C Body style- C was a coupe, L was aa liftback, E was a sedan, W was a wagon 9 combination calculation check digit - the answer to a math formula derived from the VIN as a way to tell if the VIN is valid. G Model Year all 1986 MY Toyotas had a G in this position next 7 characters - assembly plant and sequential serial number.
Reply to
Ray O

snipped-for-privacy@gazeta.pl proclaimed to alt.autos.toyota ...

It was close (well, actually correct but rather vague!) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN JAPAN MANUFACTURER TOYOTA BODY STYLE 5DR LIFTBACK (SUPRA - SPORT ROOF) ENGINE 3S-FE / 3S-GE / 3S-GTE / 5S-FE BODY STYLE CELICA / CARINA (MADE IN JAPAN) MODEL CELICA ST185 SEQUENCE NUMBER SERIAL NUMBER

Actual values should have been: Body style - 3dr coupe (though it is a hatchback technically, it lifts the glass) Engine 3S-GTE Body name - celica Model is correct Sequence number - should have been 12112.

Good link though.

Reply to
Coyoteboy