Warranty for repaired item past 36 months

I recently had my Rav4's radio replaced while the car was still under the original 36month/Kmiles warranty. 4 months later, I'm past the car's general warranty (40K), and the radio is broken again. I'm very sure that the replaced radio should still be covered by its own warranty for 12 months after it was installed. I can find this language with regards to dealer-installed accessories, but not specifically in reference to items repaired/replaced under the original warranty. Can someone point me to the text so I can show my dealer. At Toyota of Santa Monica, they claim that the new radio is not under warranty due to the 36K limit, but I think they're just trying to get me to pay for them having installed a defective radio 4 months ago. Thanks.

BTW: Honda makes it very clear:

Aner Ben-Artzi

The warranty for service repairs should be printed on the back of your repair order. It is also printed in the warranty supplement to your owner's manual and in the dealer's Toyota Warranty Policies and Procedures Manual.

Reply to
Ray O

I think the dealer is correct. In any case, the dealer wants to replace the radio, because they get paid by Toyota.

I would emphasize that there is a recurring problem and that it wasn't fixed properly the first time.

If that doesn't work, I would definitely go through the factory representative as well as the state's attorney general.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

It's not under warranty. You don't get an extension of the warranty just because a part was replaced while under warranty. The parts referred to in the Honda text are not parts that are under warranty. Those are replacement parts installed after warranty. IE: if you pay to have another radio installed, it's warranty would be one year.

Reply to
nm5k

Find out if there is Technical Service Bulletin for the radio, too.

For some Rav4 radios, there was one.

If this is the problem with your car, you should get the repair free.

Reply to
dr_jeff