water as fuel

This should be Toyota's next big project.

Reply to
badgolferman

At the supermarket, the better tasting waters cost almost as much as gas. :)

Reply to
Art

This is what happens when news reporters and producers graduate from colleges that don't require their students to learn physics and chemistry.

***
Reply to
DH

If you're buying water at the supermarket you are definitely throwing your money away. That's the biggest racket I've ever seen. Even the designer spring waters are shown to be worse than plain tap water in most cases. Did you know EVIAN spelled backwards is NAIVE?

Reply to
badgolferman

I have a service deliver bottled water from Hinckley springs. Where I live, the water is pumped from the ground and is very hard. Sometimes has a sulfur like scent. Some of us dont have a choice but to buy drinking water.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

What are you saying? Do you think this a farce?

Reply to
badgolferman

Or a con. If the reporter understood physics and chemistry, he's surely have had many more questions about this story.

First, this HHO gas is just mixed H2 and O2. It can't be kept in bulk, because it's inherently combustible. It's like a fuel-air mixture; just waiting for a spark.

Second, making HHO gas costs energy. No getting around it. "Electrolysis" is where you put energy into water to separate H2O into H2 and O2. Nothing mysterious about it.

You can not tear water apart and then put it together again, the same way, without some energy loss. Period.

Question: Why is "Danny Klein" driving a "hybrid" Water/Gas vehicle? Why doesn't he just run it off water?

Answer: Because it wouldn't move.

***
Reply to
DH

You can buy a whole house filtration system which will filter sand, sediment and iron (depending on the filter you choose for the unit) for less than $50 from Home Depot. Made by GE. For the faucet you can then add a separate more refine filter that will remove more heavy metals and chlorine and sulfur. I installed this particular unit for my son in New Hampshire. The filter is good for 5000 gallons or three months. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than bottled spring water. Definitely don't use distilled water for drinking. It doesn't have the necessary electrolytes and/or minerals, and is very corrosive to your body system.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

Actually my refrigerator has a filter to remove chlorine taste and othe containements. Lasts 1 year for $40.

Reply to
Art

When I had a well in my previous house I have a sediment filter unit that attached the 2 filters vertically. It made a lot of sense because pressure was sufficient in the house until the unit was 3/4 full of sand. But now I don't see units made like that so you can't get extra mileage out of filters.

Reply to
Art

By the way, Bush hydrogen energy is a farce too. That's all we all need...... driving around with explosive gas in our tank. If you thought gasoline was dangerous, fillerup with hydrogen!

A noble prize scientist is advocating methanol as the way to go.

Reply to
Art

Christ sake art this was bantered about during the clintoon regime. This is not a GWB idea. Why don't you get off your hate trip.

Reply to
The always benevolent dbu.

It was on Fox News, what more proof do you need that it is a fraud?

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

And since O2 is abundant in the atmosphere, it is unnecessary to carry it around in a tank anyway. You carry the H2 and use the O2 in the air, just like any "conventional" hydrogen engine.

And that is where the fuel is consumed. Water is not a fuel, but some fuel (energy source) must be provided to do the electrolysis. The video conveniently does not mention that.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Water is an ash! Water is the result of burning hydrogen & oxygen. Electrolysis is not cost effective. The cheap way would remove the hydrogen from fossil fuels. This would release the attached carbon atoms as carbon dioxide, CO2, defeating the whole concept of using hydrogen in the first place. This completely ignores the fact that hydrogen, the smallest atom, will leak though anything! Why do you think they wait until the last minuet to fuel the space shuttle? We are a long way from using hydrogen as a vehicle fuel. We would do better with LPG/Hybrids. doc

Reply to
doc

This must be an example of that famous liberal tolerance and openmindedness we're always hearing about.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Bush has gone around the country talking hydrogen. More hot air but this time it is explosive.

Reply to
Art

Doesn't gasoline contain far more energy per unit weight than hydrogen does, what with all those molecular bonds just waiting to be broken and all? And if so, doesn't that make it more ex- plosive (read: dangerous) than hydrogen, pound for pound?

Think about it: we could have nuclear power plants on the coasts, colocated with desalination plants and electrolysis facilities. Our energy, water and automobile fuel needs could be met in one swell foop, as it were, all within the smallest possible use of space. Sounds like a winner to me.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Where are you going to put the spent nuke fuel? Not mention the cost of making the stuff in the first place!

Reply to
doc

No. Gasoline is a liquid and must be vaporized and mixed with oxygen in the right proportion before it will explode. Otherwise, it just burns.

Me too. Nuclear is the way to go (assuming it is done properly, as the French do). Except that electrolysis may not be the most efficient use of that electrical energy. It is probably better used directly as electricity to power vehicles (or charge batteries). I suspect we will have much more efficient batteries before we have an efficient way to distribute hydrogen gas.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen