Well, then, how about an '89 Mazda 626

Need a winter beater...

89 626...$150. Not bad shape.

Oh boy...

Reply to
Hachiroku

That was my one and only new car ever. It was a four-door hatchback version and I liked it very much. I ended up flipping and rolling it after only six months in a New York blizzard.

Reply to
badgolferman

Well, that wasn't very nice! This is a 4-door sedan. I would have liked a hatch-back, but for $150, looks good to me!

Fla car...no rust.

Do you happen to recall if it was an Interference engine?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh, yeah...and if you remember the old Apple commercial...

"And it even has a mouse..."

(Looking for the key I opened the glove box, and there was a big wad of insulation...Oh Boy. I checked the console, under the mat, etc, then decided to poke around the insulation...this little face comes out of the other side, looks at me and WHOOOOOOSH!!!!! We left the doors open for a while and let the car run...I hope the little thing got out! As my friend said...Right into my garage, probably!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I didn't know much more about cars in those days than I know now. My guess is that it was an interference engine since I never heard of one until I bought my 94 Camry. Maybe you can get something out of this link:

badgolferman

I like the Mazda ventilation baffles that go back and forth. Do you have it on that model? Deal breaker if not. LOL

Reply to
Art

Boy, I hope not! But, I DID notice a lever that I couldn't identify the icon for...

Reply to
Hachiroku????

Well, no, but THIS Sure helps!!!!

2.2 L F2 - 2184 cc (86x94 mm) - Stroked 12-valve version of the FE. Found in the first-generation Mazda MX-6 and Ford Probe, 1988-1992 Mazda 626, and 1987-1993 B2200.

The B2200 featured the same short block with an 8-valve cylinder head. The valves use dual springs and the rocker arms contain hydraulic lash adjustors (HLAs). Using improper oil, oil filters without drainback valves, and storing the vehicle for more than a week without running may cause the HLAs to tick during startup. This tick should go away once the engine has warmed up if not repairs or other corrective measures may need to be taken. (1991 Mazda Factory Manual & Service Bulletin -- Kyrasis6).

tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic

But, it is in DRASTIC need of an oil change, coolant and just general fluids, probably a tiiming belt also. I have records back to 130,000 miles, but nothing before that. If they followed the maintenance schedule, then the belt wouls have been replaced at 120,000 and would be good for

30,000 miles more. Do I want to take that chance?
Reply to
Hachiroku