What are the likely incentives at toyota (for 2006 Sienna)

For last month (March-06) there was $750 manufacturers incentive.

This month there is $1000.

Can anyone help me with what the likely incentives will be before summer?

Thanks

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

For obvious reasons, manufacturers keep their plans for future incentives a closely guarded secret. In most cases, manufacturers do not determine their next set of incentives until the results of any current incentives are apparent so people at the manufacturer's regional/area/zone office and dealers do not know until the manufacturer announces them. Manufacturers take into account dealer inventory, vehicles in-transit, and future production scheduling when determining incentives.

Most incentives run for 2 or 3 months and tend to be tiered so that they increase as the dealer sells more eligible vehicles. You can look at Automotive News to see current incentives and their duration. You will generally get more money towards the end of an incentive period.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O said something like:

Thanks.

A dealer just told me that a new incentive comes out every month. And I've heard that the best bargains are usually had at the end of a quarter when they need the vehicles moved to improve the numbers for the quarter.

Is this true?

Furthermore, does anyone here have a sense of any sort of /trend/ among the incentives? I hear things like "in the summer" and "in june" from my friends, but would like something a little more solid.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Some incentives run for 2 or 3 months, some run only 1 month.

Toyota motor sales does not base incentives on quarterly sales figures. Toyot a tracks month to date sales, year to date sales, and MTD and YTD sales vs. same period last year.

That said, your best bargains will tend to be on the second working day of the month, which is the month end close.

Incentives for a particular series, i.e., Camry, Sienna, Corolla, etc., will be best at the end of the model year immediately preceeding a complete redesign, next best before the end of any model year. Overall incentives will tend to be best at the end of the calendar year.

If you're looking for a good deal and can wait, buy in August or December.

Reply to
Ray O

A TV ad on ABC had a factory rebate of $2000.00 for the Sienna (1k for Highlander) - likely run in error last week. Could this be for May 3,

02?

joe

Reply to
joe

Why don't you call the dealer or check newspaper ads to confirm?

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray; I did and I have and nobody knows anything. Anyway, assuming the current street price for the Sienna is 20k (So Calif) - what would be a good guess, based on say past performance, as to the price in August and the saving for waiting 3-4 months. I'm definitely in the market!

Are we talking hundred of $ or 1-3 thousands?

Regards, joe

Reply to
joe

To be honest, I have not priced a new Sienna lately but I imagine that the street price is more than $20k.

I doubt if there is $3,000 markup in most Siennas so I doubt if you will get that much of a discount. My guess is $2,000 discount at the most.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray;

20k net after 1k rebate + tax lic etc. Had two offers at about 20,500 but I'm holding tight in light of the TV ad. So if the rebate goes from 1k to 2k in the next week or so when the current rebate expires - you anticipate 1 or 2k additional drop by August? What are the chances that Toyota will change to NO rebate? Until recently I have not followed Toyota activities - or anybody else for that matter. Is there more than a 50% chance that I may save an additional 1k by waiting 90 days til August? I would like to buy asap but not at any price.

joe

Reply to
joe

My guess is that the total rebate in August will be in the neighborhood of $2,000, not $2,000 more than it is now.

You can look up manufacturer rebates at edmunds.com. Current rebates on the Sienna in my area is $750 or 3.9% APR. I think rebates will go up over this amount in August.

On the negative side, there will be fewer vehicles to choose from so you may not get the model/color/option combination you want.

Reply to
Ray O

My taste is quite simple - bare CE model with cruise cont. (option #1) and Silver.

Thanks for your input. I guess the new rebate will make me pull the trigger - either in a week or in August.

What would you or anybody do?

joe

Reply to
joe

It depends on how long you intend to keep your vehicle, as to whether it pays to buy a leftover model.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The mark up on the Siennas, is like every other Toyota, around 15%, not counting the 5% carryover on last years model.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I will count on zero resale value. A used-low mileage cost as much or more than new in Toyota. Not like the crappy GMs (currently cad seville). joe

Reply to
joe

If you are going to keep a vehicle for 10 years, then my recommendation is to wait until the model year winds down , which is in August. The risk you take is that a basic model may or may not be available at that time.

If you are going to trade in 3 or 4 years then you may as well buy at the beginning or middle of the model year cycle.

Reply to
Ray O

That is one of the problems of buying cars used. You are in reality buying something that some body else not longer wanted for some unknown reason. In addition they have mileage on them and one can never know for sure how the car was used or abused or whether it was maintained properly, or not. Just hope you don't get one of the crappy Toyotas, even if you do buy one used. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ray O said something like:

I don't see what one concept has to do with the other. Even if I keep the car for 1 month, I'd still be interested in the best value, which is when the model year winds down. Please explain.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Some manufacturers have their big sales push and greatest incentives several months prior to end-of-model-year. A lot depends upon inventories. Regional sales strategies also play a role.

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

As an example, kbb.com lists the private party value for my zip code:

A 2002 Sienna CE with 49,000 miles and no optional equipment at $11,515 and

A 2003 Sienna CE with 49,000 miles and no optional equipment at 12,695

Theoretically, both could have been purchased in September of 2002.

The only variable in that hypothetical comparison is model year, which results in a private party difference of $1,130. Assuming that the purchaser saved $1,130 on the 2002 Sienna over the 2003 Sienna in September of 2002, there is no real savings (other than the value of the $1,130 over 3 years) if both of those vehicles were sold today. Over 10 years, the difference in value between model years will narrow significantly so 1 year difference in model year will probably be less than the $1,130 acquisition difference so the up-front savings is worth it.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O said something like:

I see. You're explanation might better go like this, IIUYC: If you're planning on getting rid of the car soon, then make the model as late a model year as you can, so that you are not in effect selling a car that seems 1 year older than it needs to be. If you're holding it a long time, then it won't matter one way or the other.

When selling it in 2006, a 2005 car might be worth $4000 more than a 2004 car. But in 2006 a 1993 car is hardly likely to be worth much more than a

1992 car.
Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall