What is MPG for ECHO w/auto trans?

I went to Consumer Reports site and checked out Toyota Echo, and the MPG rating is 38 for the manual trans. but they didn't evaluate the automatic version. Is this car too underpowered with auto trans, and how much less MPG do you get? I am looking into buying a 2002 Echo with auto trans., although I much prefer a manual trans. Thanks!

Reply to
geronimo

EPA ratings for 2002 had the manual version at 34 city/41 hwy, and the automatic at

32/38.

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning

my echo with 110,000 miles on it (manual) regularly gets 40+ and i run the hell out of it. buy it. the auto still runs fairly well and gets good mileage. learn to stuff your foot in it.it'll go. DO change the oils, etc regularly, tho. use the best. good luck, sammm

Reply to
SAMMM

EPA has been known to underestimate mileage for Toyotas sometimes.

My folks can get 40mpg on the highway with their 2004 Corolla automatic, so surely an Echo with a manual should be able to get at least 45mpg.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Depends on the driver's driving habbits. EPA shows average fuel economy on the window sticker. In smaller print a lower and upper range is shown. On the freeway, for example the echo may show a low of 35 and high of 45 (I don't know the actual range for the echo).

Reply to
JohnR66

Your driving habits can determine the actual fuel economy. It may get 38, but you may see only 31 or over 42. My small truck is rated to get up to

29mpg hiway, but I've done 32 and can do even better.

Manual is generally better in 4 cyl vehicles. The echo has a good horsepower per pound ratio. It is like a 190hp engine in a midsize.

John

Reply to
JohnR66

I was getting 45 MPG with a '95 Tercel, the car the Echo replaced, same engine. Oh, Automatic Trans. Premium gass.

I did an Excel SS, from the book I kept when I owned the car. Using Regular gas, I was getting about 37-38 MPG, using Premium I was getting 43-45 MPG. Extrapolated over the 33,000 I put on this car, it was $235 CHEAPER using Premium!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't have one, but someone who owns an automatic Echo and automatic Corolla said he got mid-high 20s in heavy city driving with the Echo,

20-23 with the Corolla. Back when Consumer Reports tested one of the last models of the Echos predecessor, the Tercel, it gave them 28 MPG city with 4-speed automatic, the Corolla about 21 MPG. Consumer Reports' city mileage tends to be about as bad as you can expect, while their highway mileage is often slightly higher than what car magazines get (engine broken in by the time CR tested?).
Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Wow that must be some city, cuz I'm in gridlock most of the 20 minute drive to work, and still get about 31 with the AC on, no less!

Highway is low 40s. Automatic, 2000.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Hachiroku, the echo does not have the same engine as a 95 tercel. It has the VVTI 1.5 which was the first year (2000) that they used this engine. BTW It also has a timing chain, so you never need to replace it. :)

Reply to
ToMh

The VVTi should make it even more efficient, and actually maybe even deliver a little MORE POWER when called for!

Great car, great engine, couldn't get out of it's own way. Oh, BTW, I put a cold air intake on it...that was good for 4 MPG, too, and also increased throttle response off the line.

Reply to
Hachiroku