What's an easy way to FAIL a smog test?

I have an 85 pickup with a 22RE engine.

A while back it started running rough, and when I pulled the spark plugs, the #4 plug was wet with oil.

Several people (some in this group) suggested that the rings were bad.

My mechanic was sure it would fail the smog test.

Well, as much as I WANTED it to fail, the emissions were very low and it PASSED the emissions portion of the test :(

Another mechanic though that there might be a leak in the intake, causing it to run rough at idle, but lean at the speeds they test for smog at.

OK, why would I want it to FAIL??

The state of California will buy your "gross polluter" to get it off the road. They are offering much more than I can get for it on the open market.

So, any thoughts on how I can get the emissions UP (without tampering with the emission controls - it has to pass the visual inspection!)??

TIA

Noneyabusiness

Isn't it illegal to make a vehicle fail an emissions test?

Reply to
Ray O

Too bad you're in CA. I have a '91 22RE I would get rid of for a few bucks (very few)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Does indeed sound somewhat underhanded at least...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Talk of illegal and underhanded ... I am aware of the program ...also that it is generally regarded as unfunded legislation and that the first dime has yet to be paid out and when/if this occurs then there will be a limit to how many etc. Has the status changed to something more serious? Frankly I have not checked lately. So the question really is "If this were to be available and if people were the cheat how simple would it be?" What would constitute tampering - which was clearly excluded I believe. Hiding behind legalities or 2-cycle oil hardly seem to be real answers to the question IMHO. j

Reply to
joe

Well now, that's an interesting new twist...whoever put that silly notion into yer noggin?...

(-WHERE- do these people get their knowledge anyway?) :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

You can bet that the state won't pay out anything, even if funded, w/o another test.

Sounds to me like you got 2 more years of "loving it" (your truck).

Best way to pass is: new air, gas and oil filters. Fresh 1st tier gasoline for two tanks before test. New plugs and make sure all vacumn lines are tight.

I've never had a vehicle fail since the smog crap started but I do maintain them pretty well.

Ron

Reply to
ron

OK, you win for the weirdest on-topic post I've ever seen. By the way, your initials mean 'transient ischemic attack' or 'mini-stroke' in medical terms.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I have a 1986 truck with a 22RE that sprung a leak thru a water jacket or whatever needs a engine right now.

I hope you are in the US because I'm defiantly interested if its in good shape?

Reply to
Danny G.

I was told California no longer labels smog modified cars a gross polluter.

That buy back program your talking about sounded like it could be a sweet way to go to me too.

They do a actual performance test on your gas cap right? They installed my cap on the test station so a torn gas cap gasket would fail.

Couple shop rags on the air filter maybe. LOL

Reply to
Danny G.

Er, Natalie, doesn't TIA stand for "thanks in advance?"

Reply to
Ray O

whatever needs a engine right now.

Massachusetts. I transplanted it into a Celica, and then everything else broke! (Fuel lines, muffler, and the frame is rotting.)

Has 160,000, and I was told the timing chain was changed at 125,000. Runs well. I would try fixing the Celica again, but I have a Supra I'd rather throw money at.

I paid $300 for the motor, and $200 for 'assistance' and belts, hoses, fluids etc. I put 3,300 miles on it after swapping. No smoke and PLENTY of 'juice'! (about 15 more HP than the '85 22RE it replaced, I figure I got about 6-8 of those becuse of engine management.)

I'd like to get $250 for it. It runs very well.

If not, I am going to have to scrap the car soon. I'll get about $200 for the car with the engine in it; I'd rather see someone use the engine!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The program appears to be funded. Info is available at

There are many criterions including gross income of no more than $1633 per month gross for a single person. $2200 for a couple etc.

Reply to
joe

Forgot - they will pay you up to $1000.00

Reply to
joe

whatever needs a engine right now.

8/ Shoot the mileage probably is to high for my needs. I work out of my truck and it needs to run full throttle continually. (12 mpg highway)

It sounds like a good deal though. For sure..

Reply to
Danny G.

Don't hold me to it but I believe those requirements are for repair assistance and even then if the dmv requires 'test only' you qualify. The offer to purchase the car is a incentive to get it off the road

Make sure the funds are still available because they will run out at some point.

Reply to
Danny G.

whatever needs a engine right now.

DANG! I was getting 30MPG running 70MPH!!!

Holy Crap!

Reply to
Hachiroku

(very few)

whatever needs a engine right now.

8) Add 2 more rear tires, close to three times the weight and a six foot wide walls worth of wind drag could be effecting my gas mileage.
Reply to
Danny G.

In at least some counties in California, the government will buy a running pre-1986 vehicle that PASSES smog for $650.

However, that is less than the $1000 paid for a vehicle that FAILS smog.

Timothy J. Lee