What's the best MPG 4WD?

ummmm......I wouldn't brag about how badly the engine ran when it was new if I were you.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The Highlander and RX400h are larger than the Escape Hybrid yet the fuel penalty appears to only be 1 MPG.

For a lower cost, look at the Rav4, Non-hybrid Escape, and Honda Element.

Reply to
Ray O

Sounds like they may have worked on their reliability issues.

FORD used to stand for fix or repair daily, remember? :)

Reply to
Moon Goddess

If only the Prius designers would expand that rear window view and offer it in deep purple. :)

Reply to
Moon Goddess

So tempting.

Reply to
Moon Goddess

You're right. I'd be hard put to afford the Prius right now, MAYBE in 6 months when I can make more money. But there's an old saying that "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know", or "a bird in the hand is worth 3 in the bush"?

My 93 Corolla wagon gets half the MPG of the Prius but it's PAID FOR.

$23k will buy a LOT of gas.

Reply to
Moon Goddess

Sounds wise, thanks Cathy.

Reply to
Moon Goddess

Well humphh. :) I drive very well thank you. You just haven't seen the mess that they leave most residential streets in, in the Denver area after a decent storm.

Reply to
Moon Goddess

LOL! :)

Reply to
Moon Goddess

then get a ford escape hybrid and shut up

Reply to
Go Mavs

And again I say, you have been very, very lucky with yours.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

It has always run extremely smoothly. You can hardly tell it is on.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Since 1982, when I moved to upstate NY, I've driven hundreds times on streets with 6" of snow, and handled them just fine, driving a Toyota Tercel, a Honda Accord, a Ford Taurus, and my ex's Toyota Corolla wagon. I handle it now with a rear wheel drive pickup.

Put down the cell phone, turn off the radio, and listen to the sound of the tires on the snow. Learn to drive.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you don't mind jacking up your car twice a year in your driveway, save some money by having the snows mounted on some ugly wheels, and swap the tires yourself.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Great. Put a set of Blizzaks on that Corolla this winter. They're noisy tires, but nobody cares. They're amazing tires. If Denver allows it and you want even more grip, get a studded set.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe you can also choose one with a higher ground clearance if the road conditions are really that bad.

Reply to
EdV

and applying makeup? =) hey she's a "goddess" she has to look good on business trips.

Reply to
EdV

Go to

and price a set of Blizzak snow tires and wheels. I've used them for years plowing snow and although pricey they are imo the best you can buy. Due to the sticky compound they are super on ice and packed snow, the blocky design and side sipes provide excellent traction in looser stuff. But they are a dedicated snow tire that if driven in the warm weather will wear out quickly.

Reply to
Roy

Maybe. And, don't expect a car to be a dishwasher, which, when working correctly, provides an absolute pushbutton solution.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'd have to disagree with you on the studded set. Too dangerous on wet clear roads. Yes, they are good on ice but they can be a hanfull on wet or for that matter dry roads. Given the weight of her car even more so.

Reply to
Roy