What's up with the muffler?

I noticed it first on the Camry. An out-of-place part is hanging from the chassis in an almost V shape when looking at the rear of the car. Looks like part of the exhaust and it looks factory original.

It seems unfinished, as though some engineer said, "We're at X, we need to get to Y, put there's an obstacle. What do we do?"

Not typical for Toyota. Is it a screw up or is there some reason for this? Affects other models all the way into the Lexus arena.

Reply to
Jason

Jason wrote in news:d8a64g$ep2$ snipped-for-privacy@gondor.sdsu.edu:

I think the idea is to save space by not having to relieve the floorpan or move other parts in that area.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

What part is he referring to?

Reply to
Josh

Bend is there to stop the pipe from resonating/vibrating. The engineers are responsible.

Reply to
Wolfgang

"Josh" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

The part *everybody* refers to when they say "What's that V-shaped thing hanging down too low where the rear axle is?"

Toyota should make this part of their FAQ.

Reply to
TeGGeR®