What size spark plug socket to buy

Threaded View

I was wondering, what size spark plug socket do i buy for my 1996
toyota camry and corolla?
Also, how tight should i tighten the spark plug with the torque wrench?

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

The one that fits the plugs you'll buy? (There are only two sizes, help the
economy and buy both.

Of course.
--
gburnore@databasix dot com
Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 00:19:07 -0500, Gary L. Burnore

Gary, I believe he is asking what size wrench the plugs require. There
are many more than two sizes of plug wrenches so your answer doesn't
really help him.  I don't know the answer and I suspect that you don't
either.

BTW, I can't find the 'Of course' setting on my torque wrench.  Is
that on the metric or english scale?  GEEZES

To the OP, check with the parts store where you buy your plugs.  They
should be able to tell you what size wrench to use with those plugs
and what is the proper torque.

Jackj

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

I suspect Gary was expressing some understandable impatience with the OP's
lack of resourcefulness. But in fairness to the OP, he may be a youngster
working on his first car, and doesn't realize:

1) There aren't that many sizes for spark plug sockets

2) The parts store sells sockets as well as parts

3) The probability of finding the torque info is higher for him, while
standing in the parts store, than for any of us sitting at home, unless one
of us owns the same car or is willing to go poking around web on his behalf.

If the OP reaches the age of 22 and is still asking questions like this,
then it's fair to kick him around.

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:01:35 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Why would he be inpatient with someone asking questions on a
newsgroup?  I don't disagree that the questions asked were a waste of
time but so was Gary's answer.

If you can't answer someone's question, why post a smart-assed answer?
Or why post a response that says "I don't know"?

Jack j

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

I don't know.

:-)

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

What is it, you don't know?

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

The answer to the last question to which I responded. It's right there for
you to read.

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:04:43 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

hehehehehe

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

That would be wrong.

Actually, they are fine thread...

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

In article

5/8" will cover both.

13 ft.lbs.

If 13 ft.lbs is at or near the bottom range of your torque wrench, you
need a different torque wrench.

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

Remindes me of the first time I changed plugs in a Toyota.  I thought it
would be metric size so asked the man at Auto Zone what size wrench.  He did
not know so we took the plug and matched it to a metric wrench but it seemed
loose.  Then tried the American size wrenches and found a good fit on one of
the American sockets.  I had several like that at home from the socket sets
I have bought over the years.

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

That's a pretty apt description of the staffing at Autozone. 8-(

5/8" and 13/16' are the two most common spark plug hex sizes, a quick
glance should have been all the Autozoo droid needed.

Spark plugs are a bit of an anomaly; the thread diameter and pitch are
metric, the hex sizes are SAE.

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

13 ft-lbs is not all that tight.  I always do it by feel since most
torque wrenches don't go that low.  For a new plug (the type with
gaskets) tighten it until you feel that the gasket has compressed all
the way then just a hair more.  That puts you at about 10 ft-lbs.  Also,
use a 3/8" ratchet and tighten firmly.  As long as you don't put your
body into it (or are a line backer type) that puts you in the right
torque range.

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

I don't have a problem with Autozoo in general, but I'm sure their
average employee doesn't know the significance of 14mm X 1.25.

Nah, they're just mislabelled 16mm and 21mm metrics.

And the new Ford Power Seize plugs have a 'loose fitting' 15mm outer
hex :-)

Toyota MDT in MO

P.S. look for the new 14mm hex BMW plugs too, although it is rumored
they will be referred to as 'loose fitting 9/16"'.

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

My preferred spark plug for the Camry would be the NGK Iridium-IX,
BKR6EIX-11 (or for a couple bucks more the Laser-Iridium with a
platinum ground pad). If you want cheaper plugs, go with G-Power
BKR6EGP but I wouldn't go cheaper than that. (For the 7A-FE 1.8L
Corolla engine, consider BKR5EIX or BKR5EGP).  Check www.rockauto.com
for prices and shipping cost.

The fact that the second letter is K (for both plugs) means that it
uses a  5/8" construction and you will need a 5/8" spark plug socket,
such as:

$3.99 5/8" socket, 3/8" drive (this is what I use):
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943324000P

or you can get a $9.99 set of 4 sizes:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3D95487

Read the spark plug code chart at:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/design_symbols_plugs.pdf
   B =3D 14 mm threaded diameter
*** K =3D 5/8" construction
   R =3D resistor
   6 =3D heat range
   E =3D 1.5mm center electrode insulator
   IX =3D Iridium IX
   -11 =3D pre-gapped at the factory to 1.1mm (absolutely no re-gapping
an Iridium)

You need to follow torque specification in the REPAIR MANUAL, not
necessarily the generic instruction on the NGK site, which says 18-21
lb/ft. Why? Because these are dry values. The manuals tells you to dab
*a little* spark plug anti-seize (2-3 threads AWAY from the tip end)
and torque to 13 lb/ft. Since anti-seize lowers torque required, so 13
lb/ft is what you use, not 18. Otherwise you over torque and may strip
the threads in the cylinder head (read: $$$$$).

Generic spark plug installation instruction:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/installation/index.as =
p?mode=3Dnml#installing

Spark plug antiseize, about $1.25 for each one-use pouch. (A tube is
cheaper.)
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair /=
maintenance_repair/Permatex_Countermans_Choice_Anti-Seize_Lubricant.htm

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

The $14.99 HF torque wrench, 3/8" drive has served me well and carries
a lifetime warranty (not calibration accuracy however). I also have
the 90-day calibration warranty Craftsman that's good in both
clockwise and counter-clockwise directions but have to use it gingerly
because of the cheap plastic lock-ring/handle that can break easily
(just google). Craftsman is probably the cheapest version of the
Danaher-made torque wrench period (better ones with metal lock-rings
are Lowe's Kobalt, Gear Wrench, KD, Matco).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3D807

Re: What size spark plug socket to buy

.. and they say you and I don't agree on anything :)
gburnore@databasix dot com

Site Timeline