What to do with Windshield Washer Fluid for Camry?

The Windshield Washer Fluid light on the front panel of my 2000 Toyota Camry came on. The bottle under the hood looks like empty. So I guess it needs to be filled up.

If I intend to do this myself, what fluid to buy, and how to fill it? I'm in NYC. In Winter, the temperature drops to 10 to 20 degrees. So I should get the anti-freeze kind? Should I press the Windshield Washer stick repeatedly to use up the fluid that's left now, then add the new one? Or is it OK to mix the old fuild and the new fuild? Thanks.

In article

Buy the blue stuff in the gallon jug marked "windshield washer fluid". Double check the label, make sure it's good for 20 below. It's, what, a buck nineteen? Which makes it two bucks in NYC.

Open hood. Open washer fluid reservoir. Open blue stuff bottle. Dump.

Truly. That's it.

Go to WalMart and buy WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID. Since you live where stuff freezes, then you should probably get the kind of fluid that does not freeze.

On 24/07/2011 7:01 AM, Workbug wrote:

It's OK to mix the old fluid with the new. The blue stuff mentioned is fine. If you want to get fancy try the Rain X deicer washer fluid. It will make water bead up on your windshield to make it easier to see and not use the wipers as often.

If you haven't paid much attention to the maintenance of the car you might consider having the wiper blades changed at Walmart at the same time. The no frills basic rubber blade replacement are the best value and will last just as long as the expensive ones. The Walmart in my neighborhood will do this service for a song.

Do these two things together and you will be a happy camper.

Disagree.

They are the CHEAPEST, but not the best value.

OEM factory parts--from the dealer or from an online dealer--are the best. All you have to buy are the inserts, and they're only a few bucks each. No need to buy the whole blade.

On 24/07/2011 1:51 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Thats what I meant -- the inserts. However, there are alternate inserts to the oem like Trico that are every bit as good.

Take a look at the wiper blades at Costco. I bought some, they work good -- so far -- and they are inexpensive.

Rain-X is excellent stuff for mild weather, but the temperature rating on the label is NOT ACCURATE. The stuff freezes below 20 degrees F. Unless you have a garage in which to park the car & defrost the pump & all tubing, your washer system will be useless until the weather warms up. I've had this problem as have several other people I know.

On 24/07/2011 10:41 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Yeah, it seems the product has mixed reviews. People either love it or hate it. According to Canadian Tire consumer reviews, most are favorable.