Whats the deal with supras? (not a seinfeld skit)

Hi everybody, Please do not hold my personal negative feelings towards the supra against me, but I was wondering what the appeal was? I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but from a performance standpoint I would like someone to give me a few reasons. Keep in mind this is a quest for knowledge and not an invitation to criticize my taste of vehicles (or lack thereof) thanks again steve

steve goodsworth

The turbocharged versions are fairly fast as stock, and are easily tunable to fairly monsterous power on stock internals. Seems a good enough reason to me. I'm not a huge fan of their looks but each to his own. Can you suggest a better option for the same sort of price?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Well, I really like the sytling. I always have. The car MOVES, and mine is an ailing Non-Turbo with a bad automatic. I'd like to see what it's going to be like when everything's fixed and I have a

5 speed in it.

I think it looks cool (gee, did I say that already?)

For a sports car that has a shot at keeping up with much more expensive cars, it has a lot of creature comforts.

It handles like crazy, and I have bad shocks and about the cheapest tires I could put on it. Even with everything stock it handles well; when I get the shocks and possibly springs replaced I can imagine it will grip the road even better than it does. And, the guys that tune their suspensions must feel like it's glued to the road.

But, a small confession: I actually like my '85 Celica GTS better than the Supra. It FEELS faster, and even with lousy springs and shocks and cheap tires (Coopers, actually not bad, just noisy) it grips the road like it's on rails. It's a lot more fun to drive.

And my Corolla GTS is even better than that!

Oh, did I mention the Supra looks cool? I have thought so ever since the Gen III came out in 1986.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I bought my Supra in 1987 and has been a good car. It was good then and its still good today. Driven every day and never even needed a wheel alignment. And its nailed its fair share of stuff in the road too. Just shelled out $800+ for new tires (Goodyear's F1) even with no alignment worries. 8)

But I do remember one time a few years back it was a quart low when I had the oil (every 10,000 miles) changed.

21 MPG highway is not to hot either.

Dan

--end

Reply to
Danny G.

OK...mine's in fair shape, and I thought the 21 MPG would go up if I put some $$$$ into it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, I suppose that every car has it's following. Also, if it handles as well as you say it would definatly cheaper to drive a supra ( minus speeding tickets) that my m5. Thanks for the insight guys steve

steve goodsworth

I used to have a '90 Supra, in the body style that resembled (and was heavier than) the contemporary Firebird. It was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Mine was a non-turbo and so wasn't all that quick off the line, but it was comfortable and was extremely stable at high speeds. And boy, did it handle. The only reason I got rid of it was because I moved and had a long commute through the mountains, and the fuel bills were killing me.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Yes, it is certainly NOT the most fuel-efficient car I have ever owned, but I only drive 20 miles to work, and on a warm day, with the roof off and the radio cranking, it is worth the premium price I pay to drive it!

Mine's an '88, non-Turbo with the sport roof. I don't know how much weight having the removable panel adds, but the car weighs 4400 LBS!!!!!

It gets about 18 MPG, but I also have a leaky fuel tank, so I am losing some to evaporation. The new tank (NO aftermarket, Toyota only, $336!!!) get installed Saturday...

Reply to
Hachiroku