Wheel Bearing Noise

Hi Everyone.

I'm having a bit of a problem working out which wheel bearing is noisy on my G/F's corolla.

It's a 1995 1.6 auto hatch, drum brakes on the back no abs. The noise is a drumming/rumble noise similar to the noise you get from 4wd tires with a bubble but much louder. What I call classic wheel bearing noise. No clicking at when turning so not likely a fount CV. Noise appears to be coming from the back and varies with road speed. I have pulled the back wheels and drums off to have a look but the hubs seem to run smooth and don't have any play. I did the same to the front and loosened off the brake pads and they run smooth and have no play either.

For the life of me I can't figure out which bearing it is and I have been quoted ~$400 per hub assembly and second hand one are hard to get in my area so I don't want to go changing parts to find which one it is.

If anybody has any ideas on how to pinpoint which bearing it is it would be much welcomed. At the moment it's not dangerous and she doesn't drive it to much but I want to fix it before it gets to much worse, besides the noise is just plain annoying.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Bourne

Nick Bourne wrote in news:47b3ecc5$1 @dnews.tpgi.com.au:

.

Somebody with good hearing sits in the back seat and listens while somebody else drives.

My left rear bearing went bad on my car, making a low howling noise. My ten year-old daughter sat in the back seat and was able to tell what side the noise was coming from.

Reply to
Tegger

Safely lift the car and spin the rear (or suspected) wheels by hand. Don't take the wheels off. By leaving the unsprung weight on the vehicle you will have more load on the bearings to determine which one is failing.

Tegger's suggestion is good if you have another competent person. Usually not a wife.

Reply to
user

aarcuda69062

I hope you bought her some ice cream in return for her expertise.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you had access to a dynamometer (the big rotating drums that you drive your car on without going anywhere) you could probably find the guilty bearing in a few seconds. A bad bearing doesn't show itself at times when the weight of the car is removed, as when you jack it up and spin it.

Reply to
mack

"Nick Bourne" ...

Hi Nick, Besides what the other folks have offered thus far, take a lookey at your shock absorbers. I had a rumble that might have been described similarly and had other folks look at it and no one could figure it out. Then one day I looked at the bottom of the back shock and the lower bushing was shot - it was rattling around on the bolt. Worth a look anyway. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Once you have figured out whether the noise is coming from the front or rear, try rotating the tires front to rear and see if the noise changes. If it does, one or more of the tires is suspect.

If the noise changes when making a sweeping left hand turn, check the right side. If the noise changes when making a right hand turn, check the left side.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ph@Boy" wrote in news:wbydnbvdlZiWpynanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

Uh oh. I see a doghouse in your future if your wife ever reads this.

Reply to
Tegger

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:iiZsj.4113$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

She invoiced me and I paid within 30 days.

Reply to
Tegger

I have been patiently waiting for Natalie to Fwap him for saying that lol.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Just to let you know I found the problem. Turns out it was the driver side rear tire. I changed it out for the spare and the noise all but stopped. I think it has de-laminated or something. The back tires apparently have been on the car since she got the car 2 1/2 years ago and are a really cheap brand. there is still a bit of similar noise still there so i think the other some is staring to go to. I'll get them both changed and it should be all good.

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to find the problems.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Bourne

Thank you for the update!