Wheel Studs, 4 enough?

The tire place where I bought tires months ago cross threaded one of the studs on the right rear wheel on my 90 Camry. The wheel nut was not tightened all the way in. It has been like this for nearly a year till today I found it out when rotating tires. I broke the stud when trying to loose the nut. The wheel hub/bearing assembly looks very expensive to replace for this car.

So the question is it enough to just have 4 studs?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
ZR

SilverStude

You should be able to replace just the stud.

Reply to
FantomFan

4 is enough for temporary use, but the problem with using 4 nuts on a vehicle designed for 5 is that the wheel will be tightened unevenly, contributing to rotor/drum warpage.

Individual studs can be replaced by pressing them out. If you are lucky, by rotating the hub, you may be able to find a spot with enough clearance to press the bad stud out without having to remove the hub.

Reply to
Ray O

Just have your garage replace the stud. Should take at most 30 minutes. In theory they are pressed in, but in practice all you do is bop the old one out, put the new one in the hole from the back, stick a socket over the stud and screw a wheel nut on to pull the stud into the hole. Then put the wheel back on.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

New stud about $3 - wack out with a hammer and pull new one in with the wheel bolt.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Cool! Thanks everyone. I didn't know the stud can be replaced and thought I had to replace the whole assembly.

I'm assuming I need to push the bad stud in towards the car and pull the new stud out away from the car from behind the hub. Does that sound right?

Reply to
ZR

Yes, non only does that sound right, it is right!

Reply to
Ray O

But be warned: If at all possible, you /really/ want to take the extra effort to remove the hub from the car and remove the broken stud on the workbench supported by blocks on each side of the hole, or in a hydraulic press. You can suck the new stud into the hub hole with a lugnut and a stack of washers if you can't press it in.

Pounding on the broken stud with a hammer to remove it with the hub still mounted on the car is just asking for Brinnelling damage to the wheel bearings - the hammering makes tiny dents in the races with the bearing rollers, and before you know it the wheel bearing is making those ominous rumbling noises...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Good advise! Thanks!