When should the timing belt be replaced for a Camry?

At what mileage, or how often, should the timing belt for a 2000 Camry CE be changed?

Reply to
Don

Did the maintenance manual say? Do you have the maintenance manual?

I have found that most of the OEM belts last approx 110,000 miles. I know this because mine broke at 110,000 and 220,000 miles. ;)

Luckily, Toyota makes non-interference engines...at least on the Twin Cams...

60,000 is the rule of thumb, 72,000 isn't unreasonable.
Reply to
Hachiroku

Go to this Toyota web site:

and plug in the model year, model, and mileage, and the factory recommend maintenance items will come up. The factory recommended interval for timing belt replacement is 90,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

Only works for model years 1997 and up....

SOME of us keep our Toys a bit longer...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

For older cars, you have to use the older method.... Opening a book!

Reply to
Ray O

LOL.... I do that....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

My info for the 2000 Camry 2.2 is 90K miles. Source Gates timing belts.

Reply to
toyomoho

For my Geo Prizm it's 70K. I don't know how long mine had gone before I changed it a few months ago, but the week I was going to change it, the tensioner started going out and my car started running rough. The guy I had bought the car from was supposedly a mechanic, I wish I had asked what garage he worked at so I would know not to take my car there ever.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Open a WHAT!?!?! (Hachi, an electronics freak since age 5...)

Reply to
Moonbat

Oh, in that case, scan the relevant pages and load them in your PDA ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I keep the TSRM for the Supra on a 'thumb' drive... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

OK, you have me out-geeked!

I was reading an article in Auto Week about the 2007 LS 460. Of course, it has laser cruise control, the first 8 speed automatic transmission, electronic variable valve timing, as well as the usual list of features, and with all the wizadry in the car, the first draft of the owner's manual was

700 pages! I'm waiting to see how long before an automaker offers the owner's manual on the navigation/rear view camera screen or on one of those new e-book readers.
Reply to
Ray O