Where, other than dealer, can my Highlander be serviced?

I need to take my 2006 Highlander in for a 10k service. My dealer is an hour away and I'd prefer to take it someplace more local to me if I could. What equipment would a place need to have on hand in order to be able to service my SUV? Would any service station (i.e. full service gas station) be able to do this 10k service? I imagine the only thing they would really need to be able to do is reset the service idiot light.

Thanks, Walter

Reply to
Wally

Sophisticated high-tech stuff evolved from NASA and missile defense research: wrench for drain plug, wench for filter, funnel for oil, rag to clean up oil drips.

Find an independent garage that's AAA approved because they're obligated to abide by AAA arbitration in case of consumer complaints (but arbitration isn't binding on the consumer), whether the consumer is an AAA member or not. It also wouldn't hurt if most of the mechanics were Toyota factory trained or at least ASE certified Master Technicians. Some independent garages hire factory trained techs from dealerships.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Wally wrote in news:1191260732.920482.306940 @d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Anybody can reset the "Service Idiot" light.

Reply to
Tegger

Even the oil change technicians in Jiffy Lube are highly trained skilled professionals can do them =)

Reply to
EdV

Hey, I'm anybody! Please tell me how to go about it.

Walter

Reply to
Wally

Do you live in a very small town with limited choices of mechanics, or do you live in a place where there are lots of choices?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I guess there'd be a fair amount of choices within 10 miles.

Reply to
Walter Cohen

OK. Time to start asking everyone you know if they have an independent mechanic they've been pleased with. If anyone says "Jiffy Lube" or similar, smile and then forget that response.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I had an 02 Highlander and now have an 08 - with the 02 I only did the standard (basically oil/filter) until the 30 k miles - I'd suggest you have the service performed that the manual calls for only. AND KEEP RECORDS OF IT!! Oil/filter can be done by anyone half competent. Ron

Reply to
ron

As the 10k calls for only a replace of oil/filter and tire rotation I could do all that myself. I just need some way of resetting the service reminder light. Does it need to be reset by a hookup to a computer/diagnostic machine?

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Please check your manual. Every time someone asks that question here, someone responds by saying it's in the manual.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Any competent service facility should be able to perform the 10K service.

Reply to
Ray O