Which remote start do you recommend ?

I have a 2006 Toyota Camry XLE and 2007 Rav 4 limited and would like one remote starter fob that will start booth vehicles. I was thinking of having an Audiopage RS622 installed in booth vehicles. Reliability is very important to me. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
q1m7ot001

One of the most troublesome accessories I've seen are aftermarket security systems and remote starter systems. Most are installed with Scotch-lock connectors which often work loose, or they cause other problems. Someone recently posted a question regarding his van that would randomly start by itself - he'd come out to the driveway and find it running. Turns out that it was an old remote starter system that was causing the problem. I've seen aftermarket systems cause dead batteries or other no-start conditions. Some aftermarket systems are great, but more are less than reliable.

Reply to
Ray O

-- Snip Ray's excellent technical data --

Not to mention the sheer waste of cars sitting and idling.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I put a Bulldog remote starter/door lock on my Toyota 3 years ago. Works great. Installation wasn't to difficult. Sams has them at a good price. It's 20 degrees outside, if I go any where today you better believe I'll start the car 5 or 10 minutes from inside the house before I go any where.

Moe

I think it was Moe who stated:

What a waste. Wasting fuel and wearing the engine unnecessarily. The BEST way to warm up an engine is to drive the car gently as soon as it's started; that's also the quickest way to warm it up.

Twenty degrees?? Hardly cold. Minus twenty maybe . . . .

-Don in TROPICAL Minnesota

-- Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Reply to
Don Fearn

The only trouble with this is, they work up to 1/4 mile away, so when you say you want to start both vehicles,you *will* be starting both vehicles! There's no way to differentiate, unless the mfg allows something like one push for one starer and two for the other.

As far as programming, the remote starters are programmed to the fobs. You will have to perform both programmings at the SAME time in order to have one fob control both cars.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Waste? I'll match my carbon footprint to anyone's. I'm so cheap I use a rented opossum for a watchdog. But remotely warming the car up on cold days is one thing I'll spend a dime on. Reminds me, gas is now

1.85 here.
Reply to
Moe

Shaddup...

$2.33 here...

Reply to
Hachiroku

$2.47 here; well, as of a couple of days ago.

But I love my remote starter; was sick of scraping ice each winter.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Just so you can all feel better about life: GBP 0.849/litre here, the other day before latest price drops of GBP 0.02 or so. (Erm, in foreign-speak that'd be 3 cowrie shells or $6.27/funnygallon.)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Roughly half of the USA'n retail price for Gasoline and Diesel is in taxes and fees leveled at all levels of extraction, refining and transport, wholesale distribution and retail sale, so if you are paying triple what we are...

Gee, I thought the Queen repealed the 95% top tax rate - the one that inspired the line "That's one for you, nineteen for me." And the reason why the Beatles left England and 'Mr. Tax Man' to live in greener pastures where you keep most of what you earned (as did everyone else with lots of money and any common sense in those days).

Let's see, we had that 'little Tea Tax protest' in Boston Harbor in December 1773, what could you lot do that would have the same sort of lasting impact on public policy...? ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Well, a drunken gang of our lads could raid McDonalds costumed as Beefeaters and chuck all their buns in the Thames. That any use?

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

You have our sympathy.

I guess British Petroleum is making all their profits off you guys, eh?

Reply to
Hachiroku

You talking buns, or *buns*?

Reply to
Hachiroku

20 degrees. That's barely below freezing. What an incredible wimp you are. Up here in Edmonton, we don''t plug in our block heaters or start the car early, UNLESS it is below MINUS 25 Celsius, i.e. 13 BELOW Fahrenheit.
Reply to
sharx35

WHY have ONE key or FOB control more than ONE car? Stupid. Every remote starter has a DIFFERENT frequency, just like remote garage door openers.

Reply to
sharx35

:-) Hah. Overlooked that interpretation. Let's be _thorough_.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Alarms and starters can be 'taught' the code from the fob, so if both starters are the same, they will work off one fob...

All the time...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Very.

The fobs can only be programmed to one control at a time. As it should be.

BTW, to the OP, you should also consider the laws of your state and locality. Many disallow allowing a car to run without an occupant, some disallow long periods of idle. Bet the neocons don't know _WHY_. :)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Oh, no...they all have 'learning modes'.

If the control module and the fobs are of the same make and model, you can program all the fobs to work with whatever control you're dealing with. The control learns the code from the fob, not vice-versa.

Reply to
Hachiroku