Which spark plugs?

I found out that my check engine light was coming on because of a P0302 (cylinder misfire) problem. So I have to change the spark plugs and wires. My car has 229K miles on it. Do I need to get the platinum plugs or just go with the regular?

Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
cdub131

You might want to change one or the other first. I would change the wires.

Lou

Reply to
Lou

If your wires are in good condition, check the resistance of your wires as compared to spec. before you drop the money for new ones.

Reply to
Truckdude

Start with OEM platinum plugs.

Reply to
Ray O

You can take a plug out and get more just like it, or you can go to the auto parts store and say, "I have a Toyota, with the . I need new spark plugs, please. The common wisdom around here is that you can get by just fine with standard plugs.

What you really need though is probably plug wires. I recently got a P0302, and the #2 plug wire was open.

Reply to
J Strickland

I just did a 'tune' on Mom's '86 Camry with 83,000, and got ALL the parts from Toyota, even the plugs. Aftermarket ignition bits SUCK!

Reply to
hachiroku

I have not had bad experiences with aftermarket ignition parts on non-Toyotas but for some reason, Toyotas will sometimes have problems with aftermarket ignition parts.

Reply to
Ray O

That's because the Toyota parts are better made. :-)

Hondas tend to behave the same way.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I am a firm believer in OEM parts. Having worked for a relatively large auto manufacturer for 15 years, I saw many reports from internal studies of competing parts. In most of the reports, the manufacturer's OEM parts were either better quality or were a better or equal value.

IMO, if someone wants their Toyota to run smoothly and reliably without a lot of hassle, they should use OEM brake, exhaust, and under-hood parts.

Reply to
Ray O