White smoke during cold startup -- a problem?

All: I have a 1998 Toyota Avalon XL with around 75000 miles on it; and, I have been noticing white smoke coming out of my tailpipe when I cold start it. The smoke goes away; and so far, there are no engine problems. Is this either a present sludge problem or a future sludge problem? This car recently went through a big Toyota inspection; and, they found nothing wrong with it. Just curious if this is a problem or not. Thanks!

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lee

been noticing white smoke coming

there are no engine problems. Is this

went through a big Toyota

problem or not. Thanks!

It might be condensation inside the pipe. If your coolant level is not going down, you have nothing to worry about.

It has nothing to do with sludge.

What is a "big Toyota inspection?" How big? I mean, how much did they take from you?

Reply to
Jeff

been noticing white smoke coming

there are no engine problems. Is this

went through a big Toyota

problem or not. Thanks!

Check transmission, power steering, and brake fluid levels at operating temperature and make a note where they are (mark them if you have to).

After a few cold start cycles, check them again.

I would doubt it's a sludge problem.

The smoke is most likely an indication of consumption of some fluid. The power steering is a remote possibility. I would also think that coolant is probably not it, but check the level as well. It may take a bit of investigation to track down the source.

If all else fails in your own attempt at diagnosis, take the car back to the dealer and let it set overnight in the parking lot, and then demonstrate it to them the next day.

Reply to
user

Jeff: Sorry. I meant the "160 point inspection" they gave me. What should I watch out for in case of sludge? Thanks!

Keith Lee

Reply to
Keith Lee

Coolant.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

If it is more bluish than white, it is probably oil leaking past your valve seals. It's a common problem and unless it gets worse, don't worry about it.

Reply to
Sam in Savannah

Change the oil at LEAST at manufacturer's recommendations. Or more. I do mine every 3-3,500 miles and have had NO sludge in 260,000 miles.

And use a quality oil.

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's not a lot of miles. Is it white white or bluish white? If it's bluish white, as on responder suggested, it's oil leaking past the valve stem seals. Not a problem, really. But not usually seen at 75,000 miles, and usually only happens after a car sits for a couple days. I got rid of this on my Supra and my Mazda by doing a couple oil changes with Castrol High Mileage oil. The Mazda had 158,000 the first time I did the oil change, and the Supra has >200,000 miles. Now it only smokes if it sits more than a week.

If it's white, it's water. Either condensation forming in the pipe (park the car hot, and then it gets C-C-C-COLD overnight...) or somehow coolant is getting into the exhaust.

Reply to
Hachiroku

noticing white smoke coming

are no engine problems. Is this

went through a big Toyota

problem or not. Thanks!

Take a sniff - if it smells like coolant there could be a bad head gasket or a coolant leak somewhere getting into the intake tract.

But it's more likely that one or more valve stem seals is starting to seep, and a few drops of motor oil dribbles down the valve stems each night and gets burned on a cold overnight start-up.

It won't burn much oil between changes, just keep a bit closer eye on the dipstick - where you'll get major oil loss is when the pan gasket gets loose.

The repair is very expensive considering it's just to stop a small puff of grey smoke in the morning. Wait until you have to take the heads off for another reason (like a bad head gasket) and do the valve seals while you already have the head off.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

No, the engine sludge is blue smoke, which means oil burning. White smoke is coolant in the combustion chamber. If the leak is from the idle air valve gasket then that's a $2 problem. However, if it's from the head gasket then it's going to cost.

been noticing white smoke coming

there are no engine problems. Is this

went through a big Toyota

problem or not. Thanks!

Reply to
johngdole

Now, this is not just water vapor on a cold morning is it? But you would be familiar with it so I assume it's a large dense white cloud most aren't accustomed to. Is the car using coolant?

These 160 point inspections really don't guarantee anything.

out for in case of sludge?

Reply to
johngdole

Exactly! Toyota revised down the oil change interval in 2004 to 5000 miles (from 7500 miles). So don't go over. Use a good oil filter like the Bosch Filtech or Purolator PureOne.

Reply to
johngdole