Why AWD has bigger tireson Sienna?

Hi

Having the Sienna for almost 2 months I have some questions:

(a) I realize that an AWD Sienna comes with a bigger tire/wheel size. Why? Would id be adviseable to get bigger/wider tires for a none AWD Sienna LE? If Yes/No why?

(b) Will the flat tire alert light go on with any wheel installed on a Sienna with this feature? How does it KNOW?

(c) Should the brakes be pressed down while shifting from {P} to say {D} or {R} and vs versa? Or is it OK to let feel the shift and shake into the gear changing to?

(d) Is it true than Dunlob(sp?) isnt the best chosen tire for a car, Michelen, Bridgton and ?? is much better?

(e) Is it worth to get an extended warranty for the car?

(f) How do I protect under carriage from rust etc.?

I have many more question regarding our new Sienna but dont feel bothering you guys so much at a time. :)

with appreciation, Erina

Reply to
E M

Slightly better handling and better looking cosmetically.

No, because you will probably never take advantage of the added cornering ability so it is probably not worth the added expense. If you routinely take exit ramps at twice the speed limit or do 4 wheel drifts through turns or plan to rob a bank in the Sienna, then you might appreciate the extra corenering ability. Otherwise, I'd pass.

Probably.

How does it KNOW?

The anti-lock brakes have a speed sensor on each wheel. A flat tire will rotate at a slightly different speed than the tires that are not flat. A computer senses the different wheel speed and turns on a warning light.

Absolutely!

Or is it OK to let feel the shift and shake into the gear

It is only OK if you're willing to shorten the life of your transmission. A friend of mine always changes from forward to reverse or vice versa while the vehicle is rolling and has had transmission trouble in every vehicle he has owned, including Toyotas, Dodge, & Ford. Shifting from forwrd to reverse while the vehicle is rolling puts a lot of extra wear on internal parts.

Not necessarily. Spelling id Dunlop.

Not necessarily. Spelling is Michelin and Bridgstone.

A lot of people swear by certain brands of tires. While I worked for a car company, I had 50 or 60 different company cars assigned to me for 12,000 miles each, plus another 100 or so different cars for much shorter periods. Different tmodel tires within the same brand perform differently, i.e, better dry traction, better wet traction, different ride comfort, different amount of road noise, different tread life, etc. I have had bad luck with Firestone tires, otherwise, all others would probably work fine on a van.

For a non-Toyota extended service contract no because they often have many loopholes to avoid paying for repairs. For a Toyota Extra Care, maybe. Your choices are to purchase the extended service contract in case you encounter a covered repair or put money you'd spend on the contract in a separate savings account to spend if repairs come up. If no repairs are needed, you still have your money. Even after 15 years in the car business, I do not purchase extended service contracts on my vehicles.

Frequently spray with a hose or go to a car wash, especially in the winter.

Reply to
Ray O

Since AWD allows the vehicle to travel where there are obsticles that "normal" cars don't see, the automakers put bigger tires on to give more ground clearance. Logis says they might even put different suspension on them to give more clearance so the tires will fit. Not all AWD vehicles get larger tires or modified suspension, but it is typical that vans do.

The Flat Tire Alert senses the different rotational speed of the flat tire vs. the tires that still have air, so Yes, the flat tire alert should still work.

The Brake Pedal has to be held down to shift out of Park. This is a safety feature that prevents the shift lever from being moved by a child. It is best for your machine to not change the gears (direction of travel) until the vehicle is at a full stop, but there is no requirement to press the brake pedal to move the shifter, except as I already said to move the lever out of P.

You need to talk to the tire people about which tires suit you the best. There is no need to replace the factory tires until they wear out, which sho8uld be in about 30,000 miles.

If you are not able or willing to do the service on your car, then you should get the extended warranty.

The undercarriage is already protected by the materials they used in building the car.

Reply to
J Strickland

Howdy,

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you have written, but...

If I do not do the regular service, would I not void the extended warranty?

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

I'll bet Jeff meant 'repairs'

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Sorry, I should have said repairs, not service. Yes, if you do not get regular service, you'll void the warranty. If you can do the repairs, then the extended warranty is a waste. Frankly, if you are worried that you need the extended warranty, you should think of a different car. I have never owned a car that I was worried was going to fall apart.

Reply to
J Strickland

Hello again,

I am not the OP, but I will mention my understanding that on most things, the "extended warranty" is the highest profit item available for sale.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Hmmmm...never owned a Chrysler, eh?

Reply to
HachiRoku

Depends on the dealer. I made $250 per extended warranty, some dealers made $600!!!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Kenneth wrote: snip

Highest profit for whom Ken? (I'm serious)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Hands raised... I know, I know!

Reply to
Ray O

Hello again,

(No expert I, but...) I meant the dealer.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Whoever issues the extended service contract is the one who makes the highest profit.

Reply to
Ray O

While I don't normally purchase extended warranties, I might for certain purchases where I feel there is perceived potential benefit.

I have the AWD 2005 Sienna and chose to get the Toyota Extended 7/100 Premium Warranty. The AWD is a complicated piece of machinery, especially where the ABS, VSC, AWD, front/rear A/C, etc. are concerned. However, I did do my homework and got the Toyota warranty at (basically) cost ($1900. I tend to keep my vehicles until they have

One member of the siennaclub.org forums is complaining right now because the ABS went out on his pre-2004 model w/60K miles and toyota wants more than $2000 to repair it (and of course it is out of warranty and he did not have the extended warranty).

Later.

Reply to
Private Person

Of course it is. They sell a hundred of these for a 1,000 bucks, then pay a claim on one for 1500. That's huge money for nuthin, which is why I don't buy them. I'll gamble that the 1500 repair won't come and save the 1000 in case it does.

Reply to
J Strickland

Whomever, it's plural.

Reply to
J Strickland

Jeff, I'm not an English major but I did do 12 years of Catholic schools - and not just 1st grade repeated 12 times ;-).

My sentence was grammatically correct.

According to the Marriam-Webster online dictionary:

Main Entry: who ev er Function: pronoun whatever person - no matter who -- used in any grammatical relation except that of a possessive

Main Entry: whom ev er Function: pronoun objective case of whoever -- "I will give my fortune to whomever."

An objective case: pronouns used as the objects of verbs and prepositions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "plural." I was thinking that only 1 party issues any particular extended service agreement but if there were more than

1 party issuing the agreement, then neither "whoever" or "whomever" is appropriate.
Reply to
Ray O

I was think of WHOM makes the highest profit, not who. Who is one person, whom is multiple, or plural. One party would indeed be who ever, or whoever, but in the context of the discussion, the profit of an extended service agreement would go to a whom, not a who.

Seriously, I was only pulling your chain. Who or whom was lost on me for a very long time, and there's a chance it still is.

Reply to
J Strickland

That's correct, because they need an extended service contract.

Reply to
J Strickland

The profit of an extended service agreement could go to a whom but whom can't be the subject of a sentence, only the object.

Reply to
Ray O