Why? WHY can't I buy a green battery????

Back in the day, Toyotas came with 'green' batteries...no name on them, not even Toyota. Just gree with a black top...

My Corolla GT-S came with a Panasonic. Now, I *LOVE* Panasonic stuff just like I love Toyotas...except for their TVs, Car Stereos....and their Car batteries.

About 6-7 months after I bought the Hachiroku (which was about 18 months for the car) a cell shorted and spewed battery acid all over the hood. I had to scrub the whole underside of the hood with Baking Soda, and sprayed some around the engine bay for good measure.

Now, in 1980, I bought a new CorollA SR-5 with one of those green batteries. In 1985 I got into the car one day...dead battery. I looked at the cells and there was about 1.5" of water in each cell. I filled them (from the tap...I was late for work) but no avail.

I went to work and got a ride home. I was going to roll the car down the slight incline to try to start it and just for laughs, I turned the key. It fired right up!!!!! No charger, no nothing but adding water 8 hours earlier! I said screw the battery and drove the car for another YEAR with the same battery, this time keeping an eye on the water level in the cells.

I parked the Scion Monday after work, and we had two good days, so I drove the Supra. Thursday morning I was running late and had to jump the Scion!

Today I drove out to where I bought the car (50 miles) to pick up my reg and have it inspected. "Oh, by the way, I parked it 2 days and had to jump it. Can you check the charging system?"

Later on, he told me that the 1 year old Panasonic battery had...a bad cell!!!!

And, they didn't have a new one in stock...I have to go back next week...

WHY!!!! can't I buy a Green Battery?!?!?!?!

BTW, I later learned they were made by Yuasa, and there is not a good way to get one here in the US, unless it comes with a New Car...

Reply to
Hachiroku

OTOH, the Panasonic battery in our 95 Previa lasted 8 years.

Now we've got one of those sealed spiral Optima batteries in it.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

The weight of a battery makes it impractical to ship it from Japan.

If you live in warm climate, get a "premium" South battery from one of the various brands sold in the US. South batteries are built to with a more robust construction, although the robust construction slightly reduces the space available for the plates and the cold-cranking power of South batteries is slightly less than North batteries. But South batteries are more resistant to physical damage and damage from heat.

Reply to
Mark A

The 2 OEM battery suppliers for Toyotas assembled in Japan are Matsushita (Panasonic brand) and Yuasa.

The dealers carry Exide batteries for warranty replacements - they seem to be pretty good batteries.

Reply to
Ray O

I had one of those sealed 'orbital' coil bound units in both of my Jeeps. Stood up to hours of winching without complaining once. A little pricey but worth the cost when you are stuck 80 miles from anywhere and only your battery can get you out. I recall draining it down to nothing on several occasions. It was from Napa, I do not recall the brand name.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

They're replacing it. I think maybe they knew the battery was on the way out...

Reply to
Hachiroku

At least it looks like you have a decent dealer. That won't cost them much, and will make you feel kindly toward them.

Not a bad investment on their part...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

The battery won't cost the dealer anything if the car is still under 12 months old.

Reply to
Ray O

One of the largest dealers in Mass. 350 units a month!

About 20-30 miles north of Worcester. I know you know where THAT is!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's 17, but under 12,000 miles. And it has a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. (Remainder of the Factory warranty...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I believe that full replacement of the battery under warranty is 12/12, then pro-rated for the remainder for 3/36.

Reply to
Ray O

Hmmm. I think the owner of the store in Fitchburg has changed since I called on them. The guy that owned that store had a brother who owned a store in Wilbraham. Is Fitchburg owned by Herb C?

Reply to
Ray O

North?

On Route 9?

I really don't know the area that well. I know how to get to the in/out laws house and back on the Mass Pike. That is about it...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

HA HA! This is WAY up on Rt 2!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

This may be an unlikely source but try calling some Honda dealers. I've caught dealers carrying oem batteries which are Panasonics too. Some carry other brands.

Reply to
Viperkiller