Will it damage the engine if I use regular gas?

I see many smirk comments like this one in the replies.

Let me tell you kids this, this is the difference between a rich man like me and poor middle-class like you. Rich folks become rich by watching their bottom lines all the time, finding ways to save money here and there. Middle-class tend to spend like a fool, and then bitch about the government "not taking care of them."

It's basic economics, don't spend what you don't have, but save on what you can save. Always go around to find deals, $20 saving here and there can = to $10,000 by years end.

Can I afford to pump premium gas? Sure, but if I can SAVE with regular gas and spend the money elsewhere, say mutual funds for investments then why not?

Thanks for the good answers by some sane people here.

Reply to
Dan

Dan,

"Smirk comments" are in the nature of Usenet. There's always going to be noise in the signal. It has exactly as much effect on your life and equanimity as puppies whining.

Most folks work for their money. This is exactly wrong - your money should work for you. This philosophy works at any income level, and why I refrain from comment when a luxury car owner wants to save money on gas.

Anyway, glad that you at least got some good answers.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

You are wasting your time if you believe you can educate people who believe it is cost effective to keep running a car until it is worn out. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

A. I'm not poor.

B. I also read the "Millionare Next Door".

C. I'm smart enough to read my manual and do what it says. For instance putting 100LL in my airplane instead of 87.

Reply to
B A R R Y

On a 'normal' car i agree to some extent. Its never a waste - you WILL increase the life of the engine but by what % is a different matter. On a high BHP/CC turbocharged engine regular oil changes are VITAL as the high temperatures reached by high power-to-capacity engines degrades the oils faster - my oil cools my turbo bearing housing whose entire exhaust housing glows semi-transparent at motorway cruise speeds.

Coyoteboy

Most of the gasoline stations probably put regular gas in all the pumps and charge more at the premium pump. The presence of ethanol is a major degredation of the gasoline anyway. Welcome to the world of Homo sapiens. .

Reply to
darthpup

The ECU uses the knock sensor as a feedback sensor. It is assumed that knock will not happen as you are using decent fuel and it is there for protection in case the worst happens. This means that you have to get knock before the ECU retards the timing. Knock every once in a while does a tiny tiny amount of harm but you can live with it. Knock all the time, like you will get running crap gas, even tiny amounts, builds up over the months.

Its like someone punching you in the face. Once every couple of years will just remind you to avoid those bars, but every night you'll end up with slurred speach and an ugly face.

Coyoteboy

Running a car that pushes the detonation limit I can tell you that in the UK I've yet to meet a premium labelled pump with normal fuel in it. However after 2-3 weeks the premium gas has the RON rating of normal gas as it degrades - just a reminder to you all.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

My state consumer protection department has octane testing teams with special equipment that make surprise regular visits to the pumps. Along with octane, they also test for measurement accuracy.

Reply to
B A R R Y

This propaganda makes as much sense telling people with normal engines to put in "Premium gas to make your engine lasts longer."

How many people have that?

Engine has improved, the most you need is 5,000 miles per change.

3,000 per change is just their way of sucking more money for ignorant people thinking they are making their car "lasts longer."

My 1990 Toyota Corolla is hitting 350,000 miles with 6,000 intervals My 2001 Toyota Corolla is hitting 180,000 miles with no engine troubles at 6,000 intervals.

Currently I'm more careful with my Lexus RX 300, 5,000 intervals.

My wife's 1996 Toyota Camry V6 is at 220,000 at 6,000 intervals with no problems.

Reply to
Dan

Regular changes yes, 3,000 miles no.

Reply to
Andy

Well if you believe so. I have several friends who work in the design of engines and their components for OEMs and they dont seem to agree with you, and considering that in the pub chatting they tell me some interesting things I would expect them to be telling the truth. Plus if you knew a little more about engines and why problems occur you might be qualified to make such sweeping statements, you clearly dont know a thing about detonation and engine control systems. Again, it will help your engine last longer, but maybe by a very small percentage. Premium gas has several additives that arent found in normal gas that help maintain efficiency by cleaning the engine better too - I see a 2mpg improvement (thats 5% on my car) when i use premium fuels and my car was originally set up for regular. 5% increase in economy pays for the fuel itself anyway.

Many. And increasing numbers. The general trend in the automotive industry is towards small, high power, high revving engines as they are more efficient and more environmentally friendly. Stick in the dark ages of engines if you like.

Think about it - its not the manufacturer/seller of the oil that recommends the oil change schedule - they have next to nothing in it for them - people who go to dealers for oil changes make up a very low % of the total oil sold.

Modern engines have improved - yes - they are faster, tighter toleranced and work at higher temperatures and closer to their limits. For that reason they have tighter requirements on lubrication. 3000 is a guideline and on very few engines, most cars still have >6K changes. Its a guideline they know wont be adhered to by the vast majority of numpties that think they know better than the designers of the engine - they take the "I know best and my cars have always lasted fine on twice what the manual says" brigade like yourself and average the ideal with the idiotic, shave off a few K miles so that those who own a car and want to keep it running perfectly can do so and those who abuse cars can live in ignorance and still have a car that lasts a decent milage.

As for quoting milages - annecdotal and pointless - any engine will last 200,000 miles lubed reasonably well providing long journeys and good environmental conditions. But bear in mind that the manufacturers have to take into account people like us in the UK where most of our journeys are start-stop and clogged up in cities and its rare for the same engine that lasts 200K with ease in the US to last to 150K without needing a full rebuild, even *WITH* perfect maintenance. A case in point is my current car - the celica GT-Four (alltrac to you lot). In the UK it is rare for the turbo to last >120K miles and the engine gets rattley and nasty after that too, even with dealer maintenance. Out US buddies running long journeys and good weather see over 200K from the engines and turbos with ease.

You cant simplify things like you would like to, the manufacturer cant tell exactly how you are going to drive your car and what quality of oil you will use. They can hope you do it right and with the right oil but they cant bet their reputation of reliability on your habits, and you are proof that they have to design/specify for people who think they know better.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Depends on the engine. As I say my engine in standard form overheats the oil as a matter of practice - oil temps run at around max as a matter of course. Only highly stressed engines require that kind of oil-change frequency but if it is labelled as 3K miles it IS a highly stressed engine, or designed to be thrashed. If you drive everywhere like a granny then sure extend it.

My manual actually states "Hard driving, towing and track use change oil every 2750 miles, normal use change at 5000".

Coyoteboy

HEY!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

:-)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

-shave-

Well said...right on the money...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

My manual recommends changing the oil at 7000 miles (not 3000 miles) based on the oil specsand the engine specs, which are based on real engine tests. The 3000 miles is what you get from the old manufacturers (of course). I also see them telling you to change your synthetic oil at the same intervals as regular oil, claiming that all of the additives break down at the same rate and that you don't get any added protection. That isn't true or why would they sell synthetics at twice the price. (Remember the Castrol ad where they ran the engine for 100 or 200 hours on their synthetic, then drained the oil out and continued to run the engine for a while with no problems?) I changed my synthetic oil at around 12,000 for the first 230,000 miles and I still have good compression. When I change the oil, the oil is still "thicker" and provides better lubricating than regular oil at 6,000 miles. If the oils is getting contaminated or breaking, you should change it frequently, otherwise follow the manual; change it at 3,000 miles during break in, then switch to the longer interval.

Reply to
crashq

Nine out of ten owners do not properly do the preventive maintenance needed to prolong the life of their vehicles. Particularly after the first three years of ownership. How often does one hear, 'I don't know why it failed I change the oil every 3,000 miles and never drive fast' ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Proof? Ironically many people are "religious" when it comes to gas and oil. Majority of people will feed their cars "premium" or "in-between" gas from time to time thinking this will "advance the life of engine." And certainly majority of people today stick with

3,000 miles intervals on oil changes because their mechanics pressure them to.

Like I said, 3,000 miles interval oil changes is like swallowing 2 vitamins a day instead of recommended one a day. I guess it "helps", but the benefits is minimal if at all.

Reply to
Dan