Windows don't Work

Dear Usenet group: I having difficulty understanding repair directions in the Toyota Camry online manual. There is instructions which say "Inspect the continuity between terminals" (Power Window Switch). What does it mean by "continuity". I don't get it. What am I suppose to do? Please email me back at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com if you understand. Please help me I'm stumped.

Reply to
cathefelix

Continuity refers to the resistance value of the electrical connection between two points. In order to measure continuity you must use a multimeter or older ohm meter.

It might behoove you to have the vehicle repaired by a mechanic if you have trouble understanding directions. It will save you much aggravation and time, just not money.

Reply to
badgolferman

"badgolferman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.readfreenews.net:

Failure to understand basic terms and instructions will eventually call up the Genie of the Magic Smoke! And he is not a nice guy...

Reply to
Tegger

True, don't ever let the smoke out. It won't work right again.

Reply to
badgolferman

In usenet groups, I think it is impolite to ask for a response to be e-mailed directly to you instead of posted in the group for everyone to read and learn.

The term "continuity" refers to the ability for electrical current to flow between two points. The usual way to check continuity is with an electrical multi-meter, available at Radio Shack, auto parts stores, or hardware stores for under $40, or a continuity checker, which goes for under $10. In my opinion, the multi-meter is a much better investment because you can check and diagnose many other electrical problems with it, whereas, you can only check continuity with a continuity checker.

Some meters have a continuity check function, where they make a tone when there is continuity. If you meter does not have a continuity check function, then measure resistance (ohms) between the 2 terminals. Resistance should be zero.

Reply to
Ray O

The term continuity just means that there is a "connection" in the circuit. Don't worry about using a multi meter, the easiest way for you to test this switch is to first go and purchase a powered test light. Look for a screwdriver like handle with a pointed metal end like an ice pick, a wire is usually made coming out the handle end with an alligator clip on it. They are usually not expensive, powered by a small battery in the handle, found at any mass merchandiser in the auto department, and are easy to use. Do not do this test with the ignition on. The powered test light is meant to work with no power on. Connect the wire end of the test light to one terminal and then touch the other terminal with the pointed end. The light in the handle should not illuminate, then select the window switch to operate in both directions to test again, the light should illuminate in both directions. That will indicate that the switch is operating correctly. I hope this is not confusing, check the directions that come with the test light as well. Good luck.

Reply to
user

Ray, I had a problem with my 2000 Sienna brake light. The brake light on the rear deck lid wouldn't work but the other three would. I thought it was the bulb and changed it but it still wouldn't work. I checked the resistance of the two bulbs and they were both around 1.0 ohms. Then I checked the voltage in the socket and there was nothing there even though all the other brake lights were on.

Finally I pulled out the connector that fed that side of the car and still got no voltage on the two pins that went to the brake light. But when I put it back on everything worked. I truly saw no corrosion on the pins anywhere and being an electronic technician I mostly know what I'm doing with electricity, but other than the car gods playing tricks with me I cannot explain why it wouldn't work even when I checked voltage at the feed side of the circuit.

I guess the moral of the story is if you play around with electricity you're bound to get lit up!

Reply to
badgolferman

Especially if you put one hand on a high voltage wire and the other on the ground. They, you will be positively glowing!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

LOL! I'm willing to pretty much take anything that is broken apart, and about half of the electronic stuff starts working after I put it back together, even though I didn't find anything wrong. I have learned a few things along the way - a canister vacuum cleaner will start jumping all over the floor if you power it up and the motor is not bolted to the chassis ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, can your last statement be true, or am I misunderstanding?

When I use my multimeter to check continuity, if there is NO continuity, the needle stays at zero, but if there IS continuity, the needle goes way up the scale, just as it does if I touch the leads to the red and black wires together. So to me, up the scale means there is continuity, and if the connection is broken, the needle remains at zero. Comments?

Reply to
mack

You are using an analog meter. A digital one will show 1 for an open and 0 for a short.

Reply to
badgolferman

I have Windows Vista. Yuck.

Apple OS is so much better.

I know what the OP means by Windows won't work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

When OS X came out it was also a yuck. So Vista is any different? Why should you expect a first generation OS to be perfect? Because it's made by MS? LOL.

Reply to
dbu.,

What first generation OS? The was windows 1, 2, 3, nt, 2k, xp and now vista. So windows vista is generation 7. (Windows 9x/me is really a different line of windows so not really predecessors of vista.)

When OS X came out, it was far better than Windows Vista.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Vista is entirely different architecture as was OSX from OS9 and prior.

I've not used Vista. I do have XP and it is far better than any of the prior Windows OS versions, but it too is a departure from previous versions. You need to keep all this in perspective.

With time, Vista will mature out and become more popular as did OSX over

9.x and before. I am not one who is an early adopter, My saying is wait awhile, LOL.

Cheers

Reply to
dbu.,

Only way to get Vista is with a new computer...much later....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

My father in-law owns a printing business, he's always complaining about his MAC's, has complained about them for more than 15 years....

Reply to
Leythos

Do you have an analog meter with a needle? On a digital meter, you should get a zero when there is continuity and 1 or out-of-range indication with an open circuit. I have not used an analog meter in a long time, but I think in that case, the needle goes to the top of the scale if there is continuity.

Reply to
Ray O

LOL. The older Mac OS was not memory protected and when an application crashed it would take the OS with it. Otherwise it was pretty stable. The current OSX is based on Unix and is very stable. Apps crash the OS stays up chugging along like a tank.

Reply to
dbu.,

LOL - OSX was a disaster when it came out, and each update has caused him numerous problems. Much like SP1 and SP2 for XP. The MAC's are no longer immune to anything other OS's are not immune to, in fact, I get updates every couple months on Exploits found in MAC systems.

Reply to
Leythos