Windshield water reserve

I have just purchased a 2001 Echo and the washer on the wipers will not work. I can not hear the pump trying to work and all hoses are open. All fuses appear to be in good operation. Is the pump on the reserve shot? If so how big a deal is it to replace it? Rance

Reply to
Rancealot

If you take the hose off the tank and it is clear through to the nozzles (you can hook up the garden hose and squirt through to the windshield) that certainly narrows it down...

Take a close look at the tank, many pumps clip on the outside and they push the inlet port through a rubber grommet into the tank - the hard part is finding the exact replacement pump that fits on the tank. The dealer parts counter can probably get you just the pump, instead of a whole new reservoir and a pump together.

(If the car was another five years older I'd say get both, because the reservoir bottle plastic will get brittle with age. Try replacing the pump and the bottle breaks when you put pressure on it.)

If that's too much money, and you can still suck the solvent through the old pump, you mount an external aftermarket pump in line, disconnect the power from the old pump and tap the new one in with a couple of male-tab crimp lugs plugged into the factory socket, and abandon the old pump in place.

Do not cut the wires on the car wiring harness! You might find an exact replacement pump in your wanderings, and you'll need the connector again to hook it up.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman