Windshield wiper problem

I've searched all over and seen similar problems but couldn't match up mine with the discussions I found. Here are the symptoms with my 99 Corolla. Any advice would be greatly appreciated:

When I turn in the windshield wipers, the motor sounds fine (in both Intermittent, Low, and High modes). When the wipers are in the parked position they don't move at all. If I manually pull them up to about halfway (sticking straight up) the motor will move them towards the passenger side of the car. Then it sounds like they keep trying to move past the passenger end of the car, and obviously can't so they get stuck there. At no point do they try to move back towards the driver's side of the car. When I turn off the wipers the motor stops running but the wipers don't go anywhere.

Now I think this was caused by someone pulling on my wipers while the car was parked overnight, but am not sure. Hope that helps. Is the motor bad? Control module? Linkage? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and seems like a motor replacement would be pretty easy but I don't know how to get to the linkage.

-Dave

Reply to
davemohamed

Remove the cowl and have a look at the linkage. I bet it either got pulled out of place or the bushing at the motor is shot.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It is possible that the transmission was damaged or that the windshield wiper arms were removed and installed incorrectly or that there is a problem with the park circuit. You will need a repair manual to diagnose the park circuit.

Reply to
Ray O

You were right on the money. The socket on the linkage had slipped off the ball on the end of the motor. That did the trick. Sidenote: I ended up cracking the windshield while prying the wiper arms off, so this thing is gonna cost me more than a new motor would have. Oh well, live and learn.

-Dave

Reply to
davemohamed

windshieldwiperarms were removed and installed incorrectly or that there is a problem

You guys were right on. The linkage had slipped off the motor. Slipped it back on and works like new. Thanks!

-Dave

Reply to
davemohamed

Thanks for the feedback!