windshield wipers

The windshield wipers on my 96 Tercel are not working good. On slow speed, if it works is real slow. On fast, it works fast on the up stroke and slow on the down stroke . The wiper motor seems to work fine with the wipers off the windshield. I took the vent off below the windshield and sprayed some grease on all the moving wiper mechanism, no good. Checked the wiper blades and windshield and nothing seems abnormal there. Do I need to replace the wiper motor ?

Chris

Reply to
C Parker

Try replacing the windshield wiper blades. If they are old, they may be dragging on the glass.

Reply to
Ray O

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (C Parker) wrote in news:11065-488E266F-9503 @baytvnwsxa002.msntv.msn.com:

Is the blade itself actually flipping over for each stroke?

I've seen it where the blade rubber is stuck in one orientation for the entire cycle, so it's dragging on the upstroke (fast) and pushing on the downstroke (slow). It can also chatter on the downstroke when this happens.

You should be able to both see and hear the flip flop action.

How old are the rubbers?

Reply to
Tegger

There is some chatter sometimes. The rubber refills were replaced last year, but I suppose I could try replacing them again. Today when I left work, it had been raining, so I turned them on and they didn't work at all, even on high, until I went out and nudged it with my hand. Sometimes I hear some strange noises from the wiper mechanism under that vent, so I suspect the problem is down there somewhere. Otherwise a great car, considering it's 12 years old. This is the only problem I've had.

Reply to
C Parker

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (C Parker) wrote in news:11065-48901650-10354 @baytvnwsxa002.msntv.msn.com:

Then it's probably the motor doesn't have enough torque anymore. They do slow down with age. You need a new one.

I currently have a similar problem with the rear wiper on my Integra, which behaves much as you describe. In fact, the rear motor now refuses to work at all in very cold winter weather. Luckily, the rear wiper is nowhere near as important as the front ones...

Reply to
Tegger