WINTER TIRE DILEMMA, get them or not???

Hi,

We plan to leave for Florida on or about the 10th of December via Route 81 south and will be there for five months.

We pass through the mountains of Virginia and Pennsylvania on the way down.

My concern is, Is there usually snow in the mountains in early December, as we have all season radials. Should we purchase winter tires before we start out? When we get to Florida, we cannot drive on winter tires as they will wear down. We do not want to bring the all season tires with us, as they take up too much space in trunk.

We cannot fly as airlines may not take pets at that time of year.

What do you recommend?

Roger

Reply to
bigrog_98

I drive through PA and VA and NY mountains all the time and have managed to get through without winter tires. Since it is a major thoroughfare they keep those roads clean. Also the tractor trailer traffic blows almost all the snow off the roads anyway.

Reply to
badgolferman

Thanks for your reply. I did not want to buy and ruin new winter tires.

Roger

Reply to
bigrog_98

AS noted, odds are about 96 percent you will not have problems. There could be a freak storm on the day you jog over the mountains, but not likely. If you want to be a little paranoid, you could buy a cheap set of "just in case cable chains." Just know how to install them BEFORE you leave on your trip and practice it.

In our mountains in the West you are required to carry chains this time of year if you aren't running snow tires or studded tires. Your area may not be so demanding.

Reply to
timbirr

Speaking of a freak storm, sometime in late 1989 or early 1990 I got caught in a freak ice storm in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. I-81 was a nothing but a sheet of ice and all the vehicles were creeping along at inches per hour. The interstate was backed up for miles and there was nowhere to go even if you had studs, chains, spikes, or anything else attached to your wheels.

Reply to
badgolferman

That would be my sugestion. In fact, I was considering it as an option to buying winter tires. The "cable chains" should be used on all four tires because it would drive the ABS crazy to have two tires grabbing and two locked everytime you stepped on the brakes. Unfortunately, a good set of four chains cost as much as a set of winter tires and rims. "Good" also includes the qualities of being easy to put on and less likely to come off on its own. The advantage is they take up much less space, important for you.

Reply to
ma_twain

Having chains on only 2 tires instead of 4 should not drive the ABS crazy unless you are stomping on the brakes on a very slippery surface, in which case the ABS would be activated whether you have 2 or 4 chains. That said, having chains on all 4 tires will allow better steering control.

Reply to
Ray O

"Cheapie" cable chains run about $20 per pair. Much cheaper than even one winter tires. In a situation such as this where the odds of them ever being used are slim or none, I would not want to spend any more than that.

They are also fairly easy to put on.

For my own use, I have quick link diamond chains, which hit $75 per pair. But I use mine several times a year and in deep, off-road situations.....

Reply to
timbirr

Why not get a set of chains to use for a few miles, if they are needed? Chains are a PIA as your "normal" way to manage winter weather, but when your visit is just for a few hours once every few seasons, then they make lots of sense.

The issue, of course, is if they will fit your car or not. If they fit, and you won't need winter tires again for a very long time, then get a set of chains and drive happy. I have never owned winter tires, but it's th emiddle of November here, and we're getting temps that push 90.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

ADDENDUM:- To whom ever who cares. I purchased yokohama winter tires.

Roger

Reply to
bigrog_98

You just wasted hundreds of dollars.

Reply to
Sharx35

Where I live winter tires are a necessity. All season tires are no good in cold weather. For safety reasons I decided to purchase winter tires, as I will be departing late in December.

The dealer mentioned I would cut the lifetime of the tire in half , but I would see many northerners with winter tires down south.

Besides snow is predicted over the next few days and at the expense of a proper tire and avoiding slippery conditions, I prefer to play safe. I also have a new car.

Roger

Reply to
bigrog_98

Why the hell did you ask the question then.....

Reply to
timbirr

Because the conditions have changed up north and with snow predicted for the next four days and with the delay in leaving, I think it is wise to not take chances.

Thanks for your interest. Timb.

Reply to
bigrog_98

Up here in Edmonton, in Canada's sub Arctic, I've been running all seasons for 25 years. Mainly city and major rural road driving. NO NEED for snow tires. However, for regular rural driving, I'd opt for them.

Reply to
Sharx35

Damned smart of you Roger...I also live in the snowbelt (Eastern Canada) and my wife needs to drive to a city 40 miles away about once a week or so, the rest of the week she drives to town about

4 miles away. Seeing as how even a shopping cart dinge can run up to 500 - 800 bucks it really pays to put on the best tires you can find because just one 'trip into the ditch' will easily cost more than the $500 bucks that I paid for four of the best studded snow tires available...there are things that you can safely do on the cheap but winter tires ain't them...
Reply to
Gord Beaman

I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on all seasons in northern Alberta..hardly the banana belt. Drive according to conditions and you will NOT go in the ditch. Also, when possible, I delayed certain trips to certain locations until conditions improved. One does NOT have to drive in the middle of a blizzard for a coffee run to Tim Horton's you know.

Reply to
Sharx35

Well, sharksie old boy, you pays yer bucks and you takes yer chances...I'm 71 years old, been driving since I was 15, mostly in NB and PEI...my method seems to work for me...YMMV...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

If you live where winter tires are a necessity, then why did you ask us if you should get some?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I suspect that, on average, the moisture content in the snow in the Maritimes is higher than our Prairie snow. This would make your road conditions a lot "greasier". I can drive on black ice with all seasons but it is nerve wracking. I still don't think SNOW tires give much improvement on black ice, though. STUDDED snow tire, yeah, but aren't they illegal in many areas?

Reply to
Sharx35