Wiring a new cigarette lighter in 94 pickup

Hello all,

I have a 4 cylinder '94 toyota pickup, and recently bought a garmin c550 gps unit for it. The c550 is powered using my cigarette lighter. I am thinking of adding a second cigarette lighter, probably right at the fuse box and fishing the c550's wire up through the dash so that the wires are hidden, and so i can use the cigarette lighter for other things.

I consider myself pretty handy mechanically, but I have never done any wiring in a vehicle. has anyone out there done something similar?

oh, and there are no spare circuits in the fuse box right now. i do want fuse protection, so i am thinking of using an in line fuse between the lighter and whichever hot wire i tie into. So i guess what I'm looking for is someone to tell me which hot wire i should be tying into.

I also would like the lighter to go dead when i turn the ignition switch off.

Thanks, Elliott

Reply to
etomaro

The easiest way would be to get a fuse tap like this:

or this:
Tap the existing lighter fuse circuit, being sure to tap the protected (load) side and not the feed side for the hot side of the new lighter socket and screw the ground wire to a convenient screw or bolt under the dash.

Reply to
Ray O

this:

Very good, thank you Ray.