WTB: Toyota MR2 EHPS

I'm trying to locate a Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) unit.

I understand they were used in some 1991 Toyota MR2 models.

A 'working pull' is fine as long as it's in good condition and works.

Thanks!

Larry

Please reply to larry skagitmedia com

Reply to
reader

Are you intending to use the pump for a power steering application or are you looking for an electrically operated pump? If you are just looking for an electrically operated pump, would a snowplow pump work?

Reply to
Ray O

Depends on what he wants to do with the pump - there may be a much better and less expensive solution to the problem, but he never said what the use was.

Something designed for power steering will do continuous duty if needed, and might have a hydraulic accumulator to store pressure if they want to turn off the pump motor while driving down an arrow- straight Texas highway.

A snowplow or liftgate pump system uses an intermittent duty motor, usually 10% duty cycle at best - 1 minute on, 10 minutes off. Designed for short bursts of high-energy work separated by long idle periods.

Buying specialized parts used on a low production car for one year is going to cause big problems down the road - even if he finds one now, where is he going to get service parts in another 5 or 10 years?

I would have used a standard OOTB hydraulic PS system for the MR2 myself, hydraulic oil would handle a 10-foot tube run from the engine room to the steering rack and back just fine - the tubing would act as a fluid cooler.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Bruce, I'm intending to use it to power a steering system on my boat, so yes, I could use almost any electric hydraulic pump. I just wanted to do my 'experimenting' (on the bench) with an inexpensive pump first. I've already got the rest of the components (helm, lines, tank, accumulator, and steering cylinder) and some research suggested the Toyota EHPS would work for my needs. I'm not even sure it will work- I'll know more after some testing.

Reply to
reader