XA alignment question

Does the Scion XA have an adjustable rear end, and does it require 4 wheel alignment?

Thanks, JZ

Reply to
John Z. Delorean

I had my xA's rear end jacked up to install an anti-sway bar and TRD muffler. The rear suspension is pretty simple: A twist beam connected to 2 trailing arms. I didn't see anything that could be adjusted back there....but I'm not a consumate expert on these things...

Reply to
null_pointer

The rear suspension is a track beam type that has no built-in adjustments. There should be no need to adjust it unless it were hit enough to tweak a component to a very minor degree. In that case you could loosen the rear hubs and shim them for toe or camber - but not by very much. Major bendage would require component replacement.

Toyota MDT in MO

P.S. Mr. Delorean, were you thinking of buying a few thousand xA models and adding GM V-6 engines and stainless steel body skins? That would be cool!

Reply to
Comboverfish

Thanks, Combover. That's very helpful since I've been told by Sears that 4 wheel alignment is the only way they'll go. Then again, they just settled a lawsuit last year concerning the widespread screwing of customers on that very matter, so they are certainly suspect at best. I'll take it to a shop in my area that will just align the front end for about $15 less and will probably do a better job of it.

JZ

PS - Do you know if a town is obligated to pay for pothole damage? That's the reason I need my front end tweaked...hit a huge hole during a rainstorm, and the steering/handling is just noticeably off. I've heard rumors about this but haven't had any confirmation.

PPS - A V6 in one of these things would make it a race car. I could smoke just about anything stock on the street!

Reply to
John Z. Delorean

Well I do believe Sears to be right in this matter, and here's why.

1.Your satisfaction ( ill get back to this) 2 Your car has 4 wheels 3 15.00 is a bargain

okay here's my opinion, To make you a happy and confident customer (and you sound very skeptical) Sears opts to Only do a 4 wheel alignments. this is because to do a proper Ft wheel alignment you need to have the ft end aligned to the thrush angle and not to the geometric center line of the vehicle. the only way to determine the thrust angle is to analyze the rear wheels. not to mention the additional information you gain about the alignment of the rear wheels. so when your tires wear correctly, feels good in the turns and goes strait down the road. 15.00 dollars is a bargain

Reply to
Dangerus

$15 is a bargain for an oil change. For an alignment it's ridiculous. I've never heard of anyone using a loss leader like that for an alignment. If you were to waste $15 at a Sears for that, I can pretty much assure you that their angle will be to find something "wrong" with your suspension. For example, once someone told me that Sears told them their idler arm was bad -- on their front wheel drive car.

Real mechanics don't work at Sears, their pride and integrity would not allow it. So if you go there, even for an $89 alignment, you should wonder if the car will leave the shop any more aligned. This goes for chain stores in general. Sears is the poster boy for dishonest operation because they've been caught the most and in the biggest way.

Setting the xA up for 4 wheel alignment is an OK idea if you want to know more info about the rear angles, but you can set any modern machine to read thrust angle with less effort, and still get a rear offset reading. If rear ofset is near zero, I don't worry about rear toe or camber because it's probably OK on a dependent track beam suspension.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

During the rainstorm, no - unless you have a lawyer who can prove they have a recurring problem with the pavement at that location that they keep half-assed fixing, and the patch washes right out again like clockwork every time three drops hit the ground...

After the storms clear out, they're supposed to get all the big holes fixed within a reasonable time period, or at least throw up warning signs and cones around the biggies.

And even if they're negligent and liable for damages, depending on state laws you may have to jump through a long series of hoops to see a dime. They make it very hard to sue a public agency, you have to file a damage claim, then they reject it, then you have to file a formal objection, and then they...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

John, I'm afraid I have very bad news for you...

You're Dead...

But I DID just see a new GTO for the first time today. You'd have been proud.

Reply to
hachiroku

Go to Firestone and buy a "lifetime Alignment" Cost about 139-159. Have your car aligned whenever you want. Great deal if you plan to keep the car for a while.

Steve

Reply to
Steve