XR Matrix, AWD or no AWD - and special ordering without moonroof

I am considering buying an XR automatic Toyota Matrix in the next few months.

-----

  1. Are there any expected major remodelings or new engines for the Matrix in the next few years? And what month would Toyota expect to switch from the 2005 to the 2006 model production?

-----

  1. I had been interested in the AWD version (since I live in lake effect snow ridden southwest Michigan/northwest Indiana area), but after some checking, I have come to the conclusion is that the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) now available on a 2005 Matrix is FAR more important to staying on the road safely than the AWD, and that the AWD means more on getting the car GOING than it does keeping the car on the road in snowy weather. And thus, the reduction in horsepower and gas mileage with the AWD is not worth it.

For those with AWD versions, and others who considered AWD, is my thinking correct that AWD doesn't help you that much stay on the road compared to VSC and is not worth it?

-----

For those who have tried to order a specific set of options, how many months does it take? And could it be that Toyota would never make a car with many options without a moonroof?

Due to my height and need for headroom, I will need to order a XR Matrix WITHOUT a moonroof, but want most of the other bells and whistles, including VSC.

Here's what I would like to order, with the ABS, VSC, and no moonroof the most important. Any chance I could order that or similar vehicle?

Bud H

Toyota Matrix 2WD Sport Wagon (Auto)

--- 4-Cyl, 1.8 Liter Std. Std.

VS Stability Control, Vehicle . Standard & XR 2WD w/Auto Trans

AB Braking System, F&R Anti-Lock . Standard & XR 2WD

SP Extra Value Pkg #1 - Includes Front Fog Lights, Speed Control & F&R Underbody Spoilers.

CK Guard Pkg, All Weather - Includes Rear Heat Ducts, HD Heater & Intermittent Rear Window Wiper.

PO Power Pkg - Includes Power Door Locks, Keyless Remote Control Entry System & Power Windows.

EV Radio, AM/FM Stereo w/6-Disc CD Changer in Dash

BE Restraint System, Head Curtain & Front Side Impact Air Bag

RW Wiper, Intermittent Rear

--- Tires (4) P215/50R17

EXTERIOR COLORS Blue, Indigo Ink Pearl

INTERIOR COLORS --- Stone

Reply to
Bud H

May I suggest you also price a Pontiac Vibe, similarly equipped? It is the same vehicle but with a drive home price of two to three thousand dollars less than the Matrix.

mike hunt

Bud H wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

I don't know about the Matrix, but I had a 4WD Tercel wagon, and I don't think the traction control is needed when you have AWD. That thing tracked straight and true through whatever w/ no problems at all! That's probably why they don't offer it on the AWD versions. If it has ABS and any kind of traction control associated with the ABS, it'll run just fine.

I don't understand the less horsepower thing, though...

Reply to
hachiroku

The only thing the VSC can do to the rear is to play with the brakes. The

4WD applies power to the rear when the front slips and really holds the road well in the snow. Situations where the 4WD will perform better than the FWD will be relatively rare and, except for those situations, the FWD will be the better performer. That being said, I bought the 4WD for peace of mind and I'm on the east side of Lake Michigan. I just feel better about my quality of life in snow season. Being confident that I can go in the snow outweighs the 3mpg and 7hp advantage of the FWD even though I really know the snow advantage isn't that great since the VSC will overcome the dreaded "stuck because one wheel spins" scenario. The decision is really about your mindset. One trick to help you check your mindset is to flip a coin and check if your visceral feeling is one of favor or disfavor with the result.

I'm really happy with the 4WD and ABS in the snow. Now snow is more of a playful event for me than the dreaded event it used to be.

I think you'll have some difficulty getting the features you want without a moonroof. Have you test driven a Matrix with one? There is a bunch of front seat headroom even with one.

Pat

Reply to
Greywolf

The difference in HP is due to the exhaust system routing needed to clear the rear wheel drive hardware.

Reply to
null_pointer

In my experience AWD and 4WD are awesome in the snow with a manual tranny, stability control is not wanted or needed. Stability control becomes more important with automatic transmissions and less experienced drivers.

The manual transmission, clutch pedal, and driver's brain add the extra measure of driver control that gets the car moving and keeps it where it belongs on slippery surfaces.

I've owned and used vehicles equipped with just about every combination of transmission, ABS, VSC, etc... and driven them on every surface condition. I'll take full control of my vehicle any day over handing it to the computer.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y