Yaris diesel head gasket failure

Apologies from a newbie to this group. I realise my query may not be relevant to this group, or that it might have already been covered here. Either way, apologies. However, my query is this: The head gasket recently failed on my Yaris diesel. The engine is one of the first (June 2002), and had done just under 60,000 miles. Is this a known fault on these engines? The dealer implied there had been a bulletin about it, but was not more forthcoming. Toyota paid for the new head (needed as the gasket had been allowing gas to blow past the reinforced inserts to the alloy of the head, causing it to be eroded. But I still got a hefty bill for labour. The car was three days out of warranty, and I would have expected them to do the job for free if it was a one-off fault. The fact that they didn't makes me wonder if it is a known fault, and that they anticipate many more failures as other cars of that age build up mileage. I don't suppose there's much I can do about it, but would be interested to know the facts.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Smithett

I gather that you are in the U.K. We do not have the Yaris here in the U.S. so I do not have any experience with it.

Here in the U.S., Toyota is more likely to offer full or partial goodwill assistance for an out-of-warranty repair if the vehicle is barely out of warranty, it was maintained properly at a Toyota dealership, and if the problem is a common one. Once the vehicle is out of warranty, the manufacturer has no legal obligation to pay for any repairs so any assistance they render would be a gesture of goodwill.

Hopefully, your vehicle is back in good shape and you have many more trouble free miles (kilometers)!

Reply to
Ray O