Yaris Door Locks Automatically

I've just bought a new Yaris 1.3 TSpirit and wash washing it today, when I spray water onto the car the doors lock.

Has anyone else experienced this?

No big problem, unless you've left your keys in the ignition.

I wondered if it was a security feature?

Your views welcome.

Cheers

Reply to
Driver

Not sure about the Yaris, but in the U.S. Toyota models, if you leave your keys in the ignition with the engine off, the power door locks will not lock as convenience feature. Of course, if you leave your keys in the car without being in the ignition, you're in trouble.

I've never heard of the automatic lock when the car is standing still - I recommend looking at your owner's manual to see what it says.

Reply to
Ray O

Altho not quite your symptoms: My '01 Corolla ...when I use the PDL FOB to unlock the doors, after 30 seconds if no door is opened the car automatically locks itself. As for it being triggered by water, I imagine it has something to do with an electrical short somewhere. Does it only do it when you spray water on? If so, I'd try and isolate any particular areas where the water goes that makes it lock and start there. Otherwise, take it to the dealer and tell them you have a newer Kirby and don't feel safe driving a possessed car around.

Reply to
griffin

All my newer Toyotas will automatically lock the doors if doors were not opened in 30 seconds after either the lock or the unlock buttons on the remote were pressed with the door closed. You might have accidentally pressed a button.

ZR

Reply to
XYZ ABC

Don't some alarms respond to sounds (perhaps of breaking glass?)...perhaps the sound of a water stream hitting a door is close?...

--

-Gord.

"Perhaps my memory isn't what it used to be - if it ever was"

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I would imagine that vehicle with glass breakage sensors would sound an alarm in that situation.

Reply to
Ray O

Oops...got the two functions crossed didn't I...ah well...(perhaps I was half right?) :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Thanks for your replies

The doors only locked when I was spraying water on the car.

I didn't press any buttons.

I'm as puzzled as you all.

I'll write to Toyota for an explanation and if successful I'll post an answer.

Cheers

Reply to
Driver

Yes, please do. That is messed up! There's gotta be a sensor in there or an electrical short. My next test would be to avoid spraying anywhere near the window seals or door locks/keyholes/handles and see if it does it just when you get, say the hood wet. Water must be getting into one of the wires that activate the locks.

Reply to
griffin

If there is a problem, it is likely to be in one of the doors. Water will normally get past the window weatherstrip - that is why there are drain holes in the door. It is possible that water in the door is somehow getting past a splash guard inside the door.

Reply to
Ray O

I've written to Toyota so watch this space.

Reply to
Driver