Yaris - Versa - Fit

I am thinking of buying a smaller vehicle for us. We are early 60's wife retired and I work (some) most of the weeks.

I will drive it to work about 20 miles round trip, my job requires me to drive a few miles during the day not more than 10 extra miles a day. Also have a tree farm about 400 miles from here that we check about every 90 days or so.

I am 6'2" and weigh about 240. Wife is small, less than 125 lbs.

What are the pros and cons from the Group on the above vehicles? I currently drive a Silverado and my wife has a Honda Pilot.

Thanks and hope all have a Nice Christmas...

Reply to
CIL

Poor woman.....

Reply to
badgolferman

Well, since someone else pointed out the obvious, I'll take the ball and run with it.

At 6'2", 240 lbs, my suggestion would be to buy your wife a mid-sized vehicle and get yourself a bicycle.

I guaranty you'll be at 200 lbs in four months or less.

Reply to
witfal

This is not the reason I said poor woman. I was thinking of the disparity in sizes between the mates.

Reply to
badgolferman

Same coin. Different sides.

Reply to
witfal

You think? Everyone doesn't fit into the insurance company charts.

I've logged over 13,000 miles, 1/3 of it off road, where we cover ~ 6 miles in an hour, in the last five years. I lead 16-18 mph averaging club rides for the bicycle shop I work for, where I can drop people of my height that weigh 50 pounds less. I commute to work on a Trek Portland, doing 135 round trips this year. I don't live where it's flat, doing several 70+ mile rides a year, including a 2 day ride from Western Mass to Provincetown.

I'm 6' 1", 240.

Unlike many serious cyclists, I can carry 100 pound sheets of MDF all day long, and get 2" thick, 8-10" inch wide, 10-12 foot long maple and white oak planks over my head onto my truck rack. I can also pull my airplane in and out of it's parking spot with a tow bar.

Go figure...

BTW, my wife of 18 years is 5' 2", 110 pounds. Everything works out fine. ;^)

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

You would be the exception. The man admits to needing a 25 pound loss.

I'm not going by insurance figures. Just personal observation on the job.

Reply to
witfal

I think the best thing to do would be to test drive all 3 to make sure you are comfortable in them, can get a comfortable driving position, and would be satisfied with the reduced performance compared to the Silverado and Pilot. Of course, they will get roughly double the fuel economy over the Silverado!

Reply to
Ray O

I just looked at all three and bought the Fit.

For the record I also own 3 Toyotas and will be selling one of the Camry's that the Fit is replacing. I'm a die hard Toyota fan.

Only thing I dislike is it seems to shift alot - 5 speed AT. Loved the versatile back seats - fold up for lots of floor to ceiling space behind the front seats, folds FLAT for a large cargo space. The only one in the group that folds flat.

I'm 5'10" and 230 and have plenty of room in the Fit. Several friends including one that is 6'4" all said there was enough room in drivers seat.

Another to consider is the Scion XD.

Did not care for the Yaris at all- just seemed cheap.

The Versa was a strong contender- really liked the CVT and the keyless ignition, also has bluetooth.

Reply to
bad

Get a Matrix. I'm 6'2" and 240, and there's plenty of room...

Merry Christmas to you and yours too!

/M

Reply to
Moro Grubb of Little Delving

Versa or Fit. The Yaris is an inferior successor to the Echo.

The Fit will give over 40 MPG highway (real life, not EPA), but the Versa gives only mid-30s. OTOH the Versa rides better and has more room in the back. I've read that Honda is replacing the Fit in 2008 with a new version.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

That's not what she said.

Reply to