Your government at work, Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Both wikipedia articles have many references to help you find more info.

Jeff

Jeff

But we aren't, as evidenced by the poor goods making their way into the US, i.e. toys with lead paint.

China has PLENTY of money now to clean up it's act. They're biulding the military. Not the infrastructure, the Military.

The world's largest polluter, per capita, is Australia. This is because of the amount of coal they burn to produce electricity. China and India are tied for second, and the US is next. They've surpassed us (SOURCE: BBC)

Not at all. Europe does also.

Really. When you melt down a circuit board you're releasing lead, tin, the epoxies are burning off which is a known carcinogen. And with gold prices as high as they are, these people are basically getting pennies on the dollar, with all the risk they are taking.

Another interesting thing heard on the BBC a few months ago. The copper content in Rupee coins is higher in value than what the coin is worth as money, and India had to make it illegal to melt down rupia (Er, I believe that's the plural or Rupee...)

And a lot of the coins are being taken into Pakistan for meltdown.

Reply to
hachiroku

I'm not all that surprised. So much of what we consume - incl. expensive high-end label stuff - is now made in China (or in another cheap-to-produce location).

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

NBC reported last week the corn crop to be planted this year will be 8% less that last year.

Reply to
hachiroku

I'm a DOG person!

I was installing new front turn signals into the Mazda back in September, and something startled me. The cat had jumped up onto the engine and was walking around. I took her down and put her on the driveway, and then she jumps up on my back and squats herself on my shoulders.

Guy and his wife and two grandkids walking by says, That cat REALLY likes you! How long have you had it?

...never saw it before in my life...

They say cats choose the person...

Reply to
hachiroku

You once again miss the point of the post. The price of diesel fuel went up a dollar MORE than the additional cost added by crude price that have raised gas and fuel costs. Diesel fuel was priced below regular gas, now it is 50c higher that premium gas

We the people, in a representative republic have the power to elect our representatives to make and enforce laws, rules and regulations. Why did we allow a pension to our Senators and Congressmen? Why would we allow that which we grant to our elected official, be given to others? We should not allow our government federal, sate or local, to give control over points of law to the bureaucrats or the courts. It is not for them to give that power to bureaucrats and the courts. I believe it was done so our representatives do not have to answer to the people for what a government agency does. I already have been to by my Congressmen that we didn't do that, the EPA did that

S>> You are correct, of course we have been exporting our pollution everyday.

Reply to
Mike hunt

Reply to
Mike hunt

What I meant was that for a pet food as pricey as SD, I'm surprised that they'd use Chinese anything.

IF I were a Walmart shopper, I'd expect to buy junk from there. I don't expect to, nor do I want to see Chinese ingredients in my pet foods.

Since Eagle Pack doesn't use wheat, no problem with the contaminated crap from China.

My only willing exception are my Macs. I have no choice, as they're all made there.

Reply to
witfal

Yes, I know that. But the demand for diesel has also gone up. Supply and demand.

Do our Congresswomen get pensions, too?

Some believe that in the 18th century, commerce meant more than economic activity.

How did the Department of Homeland Security get enacted by an act of Congress rather than an amendment?

Well, Congress has the power to debate the merits of regulating CO2 and other pollutants. The Supreme Court ruled that the EPA must regulate CO2 under the laws of the land.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah, I know. But my point was/is that you can buy virtually any other high-end pricey merchandise, only to discover that it was made in China Therefore can't overly surprised to discover that Hills SD had also been outsourcing & dealing w/Chinese ingredient(s).

As is my Dell.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Not quite. I believe there's still at least 1 U.S. factory producing conventional fluorescents, which have the same mercury problem.

Mercury is a problem, whether liquid or vapor. By the way, how does an open container of liquid mercury at room temperature and pressure not emit vapor?

Fluorescents have already been providing the majority of the world's electric lighting for decades, and the reports I've seen don't indicate these compact fluorescents increasing the environmental problem by much, especially since they're only a stopgap measure until LEDs become dominant.

Reply to
rantonrave

But you don't think the Al Gore types have plans to make it an issue in the bold new future?

Bill Putney

So, by liberal logic, that means that the U.S. has every right to increase its pollutant output? That seems to be the claim for everyone else when the opposite is claimed about who is the worst polluter.

Bill Putney

Really? When one buys Wal-Mart brand bottled water it contain the very same water that is in the "Avian" bottles, both coming from the same "Nestle" plant in Allentown Pa. The only difference is the bottle, the label and the price LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Once again miss the point of the post. Apparently you did not understand THAT post either, if that is what you believe. LOL

Mike hunt

Are you guys that slow? The point of the post was the EPA's effort to inform one that there is a FEDERAL regulation that applies to industry, concerning disposal of spilled mercury and the related vapors as well as to broken Mercury light bulbs, including the tube types that have been in use for ages.

For now the EPA is only RECOMMENDS one follow the regulation on to how to clean up after the ones that you have broken in your home. If there is a regulation that means at some point the environuts can sue to have the EPA enforced that regulation on YOU, as well as industry, or pay a fine.

There are hundreds of similar regulations on disposal of so called "hazardous" product for industries for which there is nothing in the law DISTINGUISHING industry from ones home.

Technically even today one is in violation of EPA regulation for dozens of things one routinely places in one garbage can. Containers of Clorox, spray paint, hairspray, even drain cleaner can not be placed in a land fill.

If you think not, try to get ride of a tire, battery or refrigerator without going to a recycling center and paying a fee.

As for me when it comes to the time incandescent lamps are going to be outlawed, I will do what I did when asbestos and Freon was banned, I'll buy lots of the old fashioned bulbs. I still have several boxes fo Freon for my old cars that I bought at $1,75 a pound ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

First of all, it's Evian, not Avian, the latter referring to birds. Second, I didn't claim in my post that ALL Walmart products come from China.

Indeed.

Reply to
witfal

If you drank what he did for breakfast, you'd say "Avian", too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sure! Why not!

But, for the second time since you came here, you are WRONG, Bill! The Liberal Logic says that we should redouble our efforts to make up for the pollution created by China and India! The dirtier they are, the cleaner we HAVE to be! Besides, since they are doing all our manufacturing for us, we should gladly take up the slack!

And remember, the Kyoto Agreement says they can pollute as much as they want, since they are an 'emerging nation' and need to catch up with the rest of the world!

Reply to
hachiroku

Perhaps but I made no mention of China, I was refer to your comment. You said "IF I were a Wal-Mart shopper, I'd expect to buy junk from there," that is what led me to point out what you call "junk" at Wal-Mart is the same stuff as the high end brand, one is the same as the other. To me it seems stupid to buy bottled water under any brand name ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt