00 Camry adjusting back brakes?

Do the back brakes on this car self adjust by using the emergency brake or by pumping the brakes while backing up?

Reply to
tomcas

Emergency brake if they're Drums.

Reply to
hbuck

Drums on a 00 Camry? My 99 Camry has disks all around. How does ITS brakes auto adjust?

Reply to
Sharx35

It doesn't have to; the disk brakes are self-adjusting by design. As the pads wear the extra fluid just flows in to the calipers to take up the slack. The disk brake piston will move back just a very small amount from the quad ring twisting. On drum brakes the return springs will cause the pistons to stroke fully, necessitating adjustment or else the brake pedal eventually goes lower.

Reply to
tomcas

Thanks. I couldn't hear them clicking.

Reply to
tomcas

I believe the first poster was referring to the small 2-shoe brake drum which is part of the rear disk. These shoes are the parking/emergency brakes. I think he was inquiring if they are self-adjusting.

I don't think they are adjustable, having put new rear pads on my '98. They receive very little wear as they are not applied while the car is in motion. WN

Reply to
Wayne55dud

I should have said my Camry is a 4 cylinder and has drum brakes in the rear. Yours must be a six cylinder, which has disc brakes all around. Is that correct?

Reply to
tomcas

Yes, the 6 has disk all around. Be assured that your shoe/drum system is self-adjusting. If your pedal is low, then you should check the lining thickness.

Reply to
Wayne55dud

Reply to
Matthew

Worse case scenario is to jack up the car, remove the rear wheel(s) and that exposes a round rubber plug the size of a quarter to half-dollar you remove, then line up with the adjusters, allowing you to give them a few clicks yourself manually. My 1999's self-adjusters seem to be out to lunch and the manual adjustment is pretty easy on the '99. Of course, be sure not to make them too tight... back 'em off a click or two. (requires another small screwdriver to push up the ratchet pawl).

Reply to
Ken Peterson